City of Tacoma WA Cad Designer/Tech II in Tacoma, Washington
Tacoma Power is an innovative, citizen-owned electric utility that generates, transmits and distributes electricity and provides energy and telecommunication services in the Pacific Northwest. We are committed to providing high-value, competitively priced products and services to our customers through the quality of our employees, and the responsiveness that results from local ownership.
Power Generation's Plant Engineering and Construction Group is seeking and Engineering Technician II proficient in developing drawings for construction using AutoCAD and AutoDesk Civil 3D(release 2015 or above) to assist staff engineers in the design and construction of civil engineering and building construction projects for Tacoma Power related to hydroelectric power generation. The ideal candidate will have experience manipulating survey data and developing construction drawings from field data combined with direction from engineers and other technical personnel.
Responsibilities may include:
- Prepare detailed plans and drawings for Civil, Mechanical, Structural and Architectural projects using AutoCAD and AutoDesk Civil3D
- Reducing engineering data and computations of estimate and quantities
- Creation of preliminary engineering drawing packages
- Assist other staff in documentation of As-Built drawings
- Coordination with engineering staff for completion of work
- Use Microsoft Office Suite products to create spreadsheets, meeting materials and presentation materials and associated engineering documents Qualifications
Graduation from high school or equivalent and:
- Proficiency in the use of AutoCAD and AutoDesk Civil 3D (release of 2015 or above);
- Four years of experience or training in sub-professional engineering or engineering survey;
- Experience developing and creating plans, alignments, and surfaces. Understanding of basic surveying terminology;
- Experience using/incorporating land or aerial surveying/mapping data and files;
- Experience creating building drawings in the Architectural, Structural or Mechanical disciplines;
- Experience calculating volumes;
- Experience following drafting standards and procedures.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS Valid Driver's license Knowledge & Skills
- Basic engineering mathematics applied to surveying and engineering computations
- Practices, techniques and instruments used in engineering drafting and mapping
- Perform moderately difficult technical engineering drafting duties, computations, calculate estimates, and compile engineering data and statistics
- Familiarity with building codes
- Elementary engineering principles
- Record-keeping techniques
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Basic research methods
- Read and comprehend plans and specifications
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Meet schedules and time lines Selection Process & Supplemental Information
City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
Tacoma Power Tacoma Power is an almost 100% hydroelectric, municipally-owned public power utility, located in Tacoma. We serve approximately 170,000 customers as one of the three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, alongside Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. As one of the most livable, walkable cities in the country, you'll find that Tacoma is a great fit for all interests with places to bike, run, hike, and explore, the perks of a big city, and the charm of a small town.
The City of Tacoma Tacoma is one of the nation's healthiest, safest, and most playful cities. We have daily access to stunning natural surroundings and a great quality of life. We are Washington's most diverse big city, with arts, culture, parks, and recreational opportunities that are envied by much larger cities. We recognize how lucky we are, but we know we can make it even better....TOGETHER!
Tacoma is a mid-sized urban port city that sits along the Puget Sound with a population of nearly 210,000. The third largest city in the state of Washington, it is a diverse, progressive international gateway to the Pacific Rim.
Propelled by significant developments such as the University of Washington Tacoma, the Tacoma Link light rail system, the restored urban waterfront of the Thea Foss Waterway, the expansions of both the MultiCare and Franciscan health systems, and a significant influx of foreign direct investment in its downtown core, Tacoma has evolved considerably since the 1990s.
Tacoma boasts the state's highest density of art and history museums, and is home to a flourishing creative community of writers, artists, musicians, photographers, filmmakers, chefs, entrepreneurs, and small business owners who each add their unique flair to the city's vibrant commercial landscape. The iconic Tacoma Dome has endured as a high-demand venue for some of the largest names in the entertainment industry.
A magnet for families looking for affordable housing options in the Puget Sound area, Tacoma also draws those who prefer to live in a more urban downtown setting with competitively priced condos and apartments that feature panoramic mountain and water views.
Tacoma's natural beauty and proximity to the Puget Sound and Mount Rainier draws hikers, runners, bicyclists, and maritime enthusiasts to the area. Its lively social scene is infused with energy by thousands of students attending the University of Washington Tacoma, the University of Puget Sound, the Evergreen State College Tacoma campus, and Tacoma Community College, as well as a number of local trade and technical colleges. Its prime location – just 20 minutes south of the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, 30 miles north of the state capital in Olympia, and within 10 miles of the U.S. Department of Defense's premier military installation on the West Coast – only adds to Tacoma's desirability. To see a few of the great things Tacoma has to offer, view this YouTube Video!
Apply Interested individuals should *apply online and attach *a detailed resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will have their responses to the supplemental questions scored by an evaluation committee. Each applicant will be scored on the basis of information provided. Applicants must pass the examination process to be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration.
Appointment is subject to passing a background check and a pre-employment medical exam and drug screen. This position is covered by a Labor Agreement between The City of Tacoma and Local 17. An employee in this position will be required to join the union within 30 days of hire. New employees must successfully complete a nine-month probationary period prior to obtaining permanent status in this classification.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check.
Communication from the City of Tacoma: We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400.
Salary: $27.81 - $33.83 Hourly
Location: Tacoma, WA
Job Type: Classified
Job Number: 2011-19B
Closing: 8/23/2019 5:00 PM Pacific
Agency: City of Tacoma
Address: Human Resources Department 747 Market Street Tacoma, Washington, 98402-3764