National Grid Senior Software Engineer, Technical Delivery in Syracuse, New York
National Grid is hiring for a Solutions Engineer for our Solutions Delivery department in Syracuse, NY
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The primary role of the Solutions Engineer will be to work with a team technical professionals consisting of internal and external partner resources in the development and delivery of project solutions.
The Solutions Engineer will work hand in hand with Project Managers to plan, roadmap and deliver on environment build-out. The Solutions Engineer will be the interface between the development team and the project management. He/she will support the creation and execution of business critical or complex technical solutions that meet user needs and improve business performance by providing technical analysis, problem solving, and troubleshooting as part of a project development team.
He/she will support the creation and execution of business critical or complex technical solutions that meet user needs and improve business performance by providing technical analysis, problem solving, and troubleshooting as part of a project development team.
• Provides technical direction for the design, development, and systems integration from definition phase through implementation.
• Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve solution/service delivery for internal and external stakeholders.
• Reviews proposals for technology systems.
• Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
• Ensure the timely completion and approvals of project deliverables
Technical Effort Management
• Creates and enables technical plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
• Keeps team members well informed of status and serves as liaison between both vendors and project portfolios.
• Owns technology oversight and is responsible for managing technical risks throughout various projects.
• Identifies project risks and plans mitigation action with the PM at project level
• Manages technical deliverables within budget and project schedules.
• Consistently delivers high-quality service to all stakeholders.
• Understands complex technology concepts and effectively employs different solutions as are appropriate to the engagement.
• Possesses demonstrated work experience with multiple vendors and technology portfolios.
• Possesses significant knowledge of client/server and internet systems architectures.
• Understands networking concepts in a WAN environment.
• Assists in managing interaction and expectations regarding technology delivery results.
• Communicates effectively with vendors and internal stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions.
• Continually seeks opportunities to increase business excellence and deepen vendor relationships.
• Builds a knowledge base of each vendor’s business, systems and abilities.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
Able to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Demonstrated ability to interface effectively and collaborate with third party suppliers/vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent work experience.
• 5+ years of Solution Engineer/Project Management experience.
• Experience building out/standing up environments from an infrastructure perspective for delivery
• Experience working as a strategic liaison/technology consultant between portfolios and business units
• Ability to manage vendor relationships and hold vendors accountable for specified results
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• 5+ years’ experience in a SDLC environment
• Ability to influence and build relationships and demonstrate team leadership in all interactions.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Communicates effectively with stakeholders to identify needs and propose alternative solutions.
• Technical and functional knowledge of the Customer Billing Systems CSS (Customer/1) and/or Meter-to-Cash/Revenue Cycle Management
• Knowledge and experience with .Net, Mainframe, DB2, UNIX, Oracle Fusion, JCAPs, C++
• Familiarity with Agile development is a plus, although training is available.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.