National Grid Senior Software Engineer, Technical Delivery in Syracuse, New York
National Grid is a Global Electric and Gas Company committed to being an innovative leader in energy management and to safeguarding our global environment. Every day we deliver energy safely and reliably to all our customers.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The primary role of the Senior Software Engineer will be to lead a team of technical professionals consisting of internal and external partner resources in the development and delivery of project solutions. The Technical leads will oversee a team focused on software development, technical issue resolution, and delivery of the final solution.
He/she will support the creation and execution of business critical or complex technical solutions that meet user needs and improve business performance by providing technical analysis, problem solving, and troubleshooting as part of a project development team
The responsibilities of this position include but not limited to:
• Provides technical direction for the design, development, and systems integration from definition phase through implementation.
• Applies significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve solution/service delivery for internal and external stakeholders.
• Reviews proposals for technology systems.
• Easily recognizes system deficiencies and implements effective solutions.
• Understands complex technology concepts and effectively employs different solutions as are appropriate to the engagement.
• Possesses demonstrated work experience with multiple vendors and technology portfolios.
• Possesses significant knowledge of client/server and internet systems architectures.
• Understands networking concepts in a WAN environment.
• Assists in managing interaction and expectations regarding technology delivery results.
• Communicates effectively with vendors and internal stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions
• Facilitates effective team interaction.
• Acknowledges and appreciates each team member's contributions.
• Effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential.
• Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent work experience.
8-10 years of Technology Lead/Project Management experience.
Experience building out/standing up environments from an infrastructure perspective for delivery
Experience working as a strategic liaison/technology consultant between portfolios and business units
Ability to manage vendor relationships and hold vendors accountable for specified results
Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
5+ years’ experience in a SDLC environment
Ability to influence and build relationships and demonstrate team leadership in all interactions.
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Communicates effectively with stakeholders to identify needs and propose alternative solutions.
Familiarity with Agile development is a plus, although training is available.
Experience in working in the Utility (Gas/Electric) domain with in a project setting.
Functional knowledge of Contact Center process, and IVR application
Windows 7, Windows 10
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team