National Grid Senior Engineer, Telecomm Electrical Planning and Design in Syracuse, New York
National Grid is hiring a Senior Engineer for our Grid Mod & Telecom Engineering Department in Syracuse, NY
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
As a Senior Engineer in the Grid Modernization and Telecom department, you will participate in the specification, design, and implementation of innovative communications and networking technologies for the electric distribution and sub-transmission systems. Primary areas of responsibility include: evaluation of emerging technologies; participation in equipment specification and selection; performing end-to-end solution design including validation and testing of advanced communications systems.
You will work closely with our Distribution Control & Instrumentation Engineering, Meter Engineering, and Distribution Standards Engineering departments to provide communications solutions for projects assigned to those groups. In addition, you will assist in development of long term strategies for field area networking supporting controls, monitors, meters and other fixed and mobile devices.
· Support Company initiatives for innovation and modernization of our energy delivery infrastructure (e.g., NY Reforming the Energy Vision, MA Grid Modernization, System Integration RI, etc.).
· Create and obtain approval for special projects, engineering design, analysis and investigations, and training to deploy new technologies and work practices.
· Support development and ongoing maintenance of all distribution and sub-transmission communications technologies.
· Support Company Automated Meter Infrastructure (AMI) initiatives in all our jurisdictions including the design and deployment of Field Area Networks (FAN) and their monitoring and control systems.
· Actively engage our IS and external communications partners in the development of end to end communications solutions for operational SCADA, metering, Volt Var Optimization (VVO) and other active and future projects.
· Work closely with National Grid SCADA/EMS team to integrate control systems and communications technologies into various applications used by System Operators, Engineers, and applicable Company personnel.
· Support strategic program development and execution associated with system operations, planning or asset management and provide detailed technical knowledge as required in support of company operations.
· Provide technical guidance, support and coaching to others in order to share knowledge and develop technical understanding within the department.
· Build and nurture relationships with industry peers and other external industry influencers to keep abreast of technical innovations and their potential benefits.
· Develop and progress the implementation of methods for the day-to-day business to take advantage of the operational benefits of new communications systems and technologies.
· Support storm restoration efforts in addition to normal job duties
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Able to lead and supervise a project team or virtual teams to achieve business objectives.
A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Telecommunications/Network Engineering or associated disciplines from an accredited engineering school.
· At least six years of experience performing engineering technical analysis of communications systems.
· Course work or job experience that includes at least some of the following technologies:
RF fundamentals and data communication systems including point to point, point to multipoint and mesh topologies.
Private and public LTE networks
Fiber optic and microwave transport systems
Leased wired and wireless services
Computer network routing/switching, cloud services
· Demonstrates good time management skills.
· Verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively interface and communicate with people at all levels across the organization.
· Must be able to work overtime and/or holidays, nights, weekends as needed.
· Must be able to travel overnight outside the normal work area.
Valid Driver's License
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.