NextEra Energy SR UX Designer in St. Paul, Minnesota
SR UX Designer
Date:Nov 21, 2020
Primary Location:St. Paul, MN, US, 55107
Company:NextEra Energy is the optimization and analytics team for the world’s largest renewable energy generator. We thrive on solving the toughest problems facing the energy industry and creating innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that lead the way into the next era of energy.
Position Specific Description Come help us tell the story of renewable energy. NextEra Analytics is the science, data, and software division of the largest developer of wind and solar energy projects in the United States. Our progressive office space in St. Paul, Minnesota helps foster a creative environment for enabling fundamental changes in the energy industry. We create tools that help cities, states, organizations and people meet clean energy goals. Our team is looking for a user experience designer to help turn concepts into digital products that accelerate the adoption of renewable technologies.
Individuals will work with product teams to translate technical engineering, scientific, and software concepts into wireframe prototypes. Individuals will then help transition those prototypes to fully designed tools for internal and external sales. Individuals must have a passion for clean energy and demonstrate a willingness to become familiar with the technical aspects of our business. Previous experience collaborating with technical experts is a major plus.
Employee must work with product teams to understand the vision and strategy of complex energy solutions. The individual will create visual designs for user interfaces based on wireframe prototypes created under the oversight of the UX Design Lead. Designs will be validated through user interviews, contextual inquiry, and moderated usability studies. This position requires preparation of copy and design for internal and external marketing and communications, including digital and print formats. The employee will be required to act as a brand steward and provide guidance on design and positioning, and maintain brand guidelines documentation.
- Collaborate closely with and assists in the definition and translation of business requirements into user flows and wireframes.
- Facilitate user experience design sessions to identify business and technical requirements for technology, research and business initiatives to ensure that designs are successfully created and implemented to achieve the user goals.
- Develop overall user experience, interaction design and information architecture for technology and business initiatives.
- Create site maps, flows, wireframes and prototypes; analyzes usability test results; and assists with developing user experience research reports.
- Use a variety of analytical techniques to gather and analyze design requirements (e.g. interviews, facilitated workshops, surveys, site visits, use cases, workflow analysis, observations, etc.)
- Provide information to support interaction design prioritization and tradeoff decisions.
- Work with creative and visual leads to co-evolve experience solutions through an iterative design process.
- Work with UX Product Owners to understand technical systems and constraints so that design solutions are technically feasible and optimal.
- Build and advocate the development of UI guidelines, standards and requirements that serve as the foundation for designing cohesive experiences.
- Visualize ideas using professional design tools (e.g., Balsamiq, InVision, Adobe CS) or whatever tools are necessary to rapidly work through ideation.
- Initiate and respond to ideas for innovation/improvements based on research, analysis, and competitive reviews.
- Connect the dots between business requirements, innovation, analytics, and good design through visual representation of ideas.
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design or equivalent design-related field 5+ years of experience as an interaction designer, user interface designer, or similar role
- Design experience on mobile, tablet, mobile, or desktop devices
- Expertise with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign or their functional equivalents
- Experience working directly with developers for implementation of designs
- A portfolio demonstrating relevant design experience with work samples showcasing process sketches, design documentation and detailed design presentations
- Ability to extract complex concepts and quickly turn around rigorous flows and mockups reflecting a range of options
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment
- Visual design expertise demonstrated through mockups and style guides
This job is responsible for creating great user experiences on the web and other digital channels. Individuals work cross-functionally and collaboratively to design the graphical user interface and experience for applications and web sites. Employees in this role guide developers through fulfilling the design experience. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with product management and developers to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals, and experience
- Executes all visual design stages from concept to a collaborative hand-off with software developers
- Conceptualizes original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
- Demonstrates both user interface and user experience concepts to product management
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- High School Grad / GED
- Bachelor’s or Equivalent Experience
- Experience: 5+ years
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Information Technology Organization: NextEra Analytics Inc Location: St. Paul, Minnesota Other Work Locations: Minnesota Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs