NextEra Energy Sr Software Development Engineer in St. Paul, Minnesota
Sr Software Development Engineer
Date:Nov 14, 2020
Primary Location:St. Paul, MN, US, 55107
Company:NextEra Energy is the optimization and analytics team for the world’s largest renewable energy generator. We thrive on solving the toughest problems facing the energy industry and creating innovative forecasting and optimization solutions that lead the way into the next era of energy.
Position Specific Description We are seeking an experienced software engineer to join our New Product Engineering team. The position will interact with all business units in NextEra Analytics and will work in all phases of the software development life cycle including requirements gathering and refinement, system design, implementation and testing. Qualified candidates will spend the majority of their time developing software that helps NextEra Analytics provide innovative forecasting and optimization solutions for the energy industry. Candidates should also possess the ability to be a technical lead of a software component or module. A desire to work with some of the latest Big Data technologies is preferred but not required. You should apply if you think of yourself as someone who is not afraid to explore new technologies in the event the product or feature calls for it. A personality that embraces change and is a continuous learner. In our team engineers have the freedom to create the best solutions possible with the latest technologies available. Be ready to work in a fast paced environment solving some of the most challenging problems within the energy industry alongside a team of data scientists and a dedicated science team. Lastly, you will not be expected to be on call but in the rare occasion in which there is a need for production support on a product you have worked on and for which the production team is unable to resolve the issues you may be reached out to.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering preferred, with 5+ years of software development experience
- Experience using Git for source code management
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience using the Agile Scrum development process
- Experience working with non-relational databases
- Spring framework including Spring Boot
- Experience with AWS architectures and tools like Lambda, Athena, RDS, S3, Gateway, Cognito, AWS CLI
- Experience with Kotlin and Terraform definitely a plus
- Experience working with front end frameworks like Vue and Angular. React also good to have.
- React Native, Ionic or native mobile development also a plus Job Overview
This position writes and tests software to aid in development and support of products. Individuals in this role work with Technical Leads on software system architecture and service design and typically leads a module in the system. This position participates in required product development process ceremonies. Employees in this role are responsible for writing and refining technical requirements and technical design documentation. Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Codes in multiple languages in support of software products and the development of software products
- Conducts system testing and codes unit tests and support features
- Documents technical requirement and other technical documentation
- Works with product team to refine product requirements
- Collaborates on high level software design projects and software system architecture and creates effective component level architectures
- Leads software module construction from architecture and design to implementation and may lead a small team of engineers in building the module
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: 7+ years
- Bachelor’s - Engineering
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Science, Research, and Technology Organization: NextEra Analytics Inc Location: St. Paul, Minnesota Other Work Locations: Minnesota Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs