Washington Gas Light Co. Sr. Director Employee & Labor Relations in Springfield, Virginia
The Sr. Director Employee & Labor Relations will oversee and monitor the enterprise-wide employee and labor relations activity. He/she will maintain consistency in employee/labor relations processes and decisions, design and implement strategies that focus on preventing and resolving employee issues, collaborate with business unit leaders and HR Business Partners to proactively resolve employee issues, foster teamwork, and build positive relationships.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Directs development and implementation of the company’s employee labor relations strategy, with the goal of creating a high performing, engaged, and collaborative workforce.
• Ensures that the working environment for all union staff is compliant with Federal and State standards and obligations
• Directs the daily activities of the Employee and Labor Relations department, including contract administration, arbitrations, grievance procedures and the union performance appraisal system.
• Supports, counsels, and supervises a team of senior level HR practitioners in the field. Responsible for hiring, managing and building team cooperation.
• Partners with leaders at all levels to facilitate development and implementation of performance counseling initiatives focused on performance improvement
• Acts as primary point of contact with union leadership and representatives. Responsible for relationship management with unions. Represents the company in labor negotiations
• Directs corporate initiatives to ensure the Company is in line with state and federal statutes.
• Monitors employee relations policies and practices to ensure they are applied uniformly as possible across all contracts.
• Monitors the performance management process across the organization
• Develops and writes company policy as needed and communicates changes to policy when needed
• Partners with in-house general counsel on sensitive employee issues
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's Degree Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration, or related field.
• 15+ Years experience interpreting and executing employment laws and regulations, engaging in various forms of conflict resolution, resolving complex employment charges and complaints, and developing and writing company policy and procedures.
• Extensive, demonstrated experience managing labor issues and/or a union-eligible workforce, including participation in negotiations, grievances, and arbitrations.
• Ability to successfully negotiate business agreements and to resolve disputes with union leadership and internal business partners.
• Ability to effectively evaluate multiple scenarios and to implement effective solutions to broadly defined business problems.
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions quickly and effectively and to redirect resources to meet ever-changing business situations
• Ability to write and present diverse ideas in a logical and concise manner. Ability to effectively communicate complex messages to diverse audiences at all organization levels.
• Master's Degree
• Juris Doctorate
WGL is an EO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL is an EEO employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled
WGL Holdings, Inc. is a public utility holding company and the parent company of WGL, a diversified energy business that provides natural gas, electricity, green power, carbon reduction and energy services. Our calling as a company is to make energy surprisingly easy - for our employees, for our community and for all our customers. WGL and its affiliates are committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status. sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, matriculation, physical or mental disabilities, political affiliation, genetic information, status as a protected veteran or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.