Eversource Energy Senior Engineer, System Resiliency and Reliability in Springfield, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)Eversource’s Resilience and Reliability group focuses on implementing a data-driven strategy to invest in strengthening the electric transmission and distribution grid to mitigate and adapt to climate change and to enable a modern, digital and decarbonized grid. The problems that this Senior Engineer position will tackle are at the crux of today’s power systems challenges; the looming impacts of climate change, rapid electrification and the penetration of renewable energy resources mandate a drastic shift in utility planning, budgeting and operations and make resilience and reliability the key to grid modernization and decarbonization. The ideal candidate is highly experienced in distribution system modeling, has a good understanding of resilience and reliability and is interested in shaping Eversource’s long-term resilience and reliability strategies using a data and model driven approach. They will propose specific programs and projects to achieve Eversource’s strategic goals, with a customer-centric focus. Understanding the importance of reliability and resilience and the benefits of coordinated planning, this role is highly cross-functional with regular interactions with a variety of other groups including Distribution Engineering, Vegetation Management, Electric Operations and Regulatory. This Senior Engineer is expected to soon evolve into a subject-matter expert. This role will have plenty of opportunities for presentations both internally at Eversource and externally, e.g., at professional organizations like IEEE.
- Supports and/or leads the development of analytics tools needed for resilience and reliability planning; including power flow models to suggest projects, risk-based models to assess project and program effectiveness etc, while ensuring that these models’ inputs and outputs are consistent with our available data and our reportable metrics. .
- Stays up to date with literature and industry resilience and reliability updates including planning models, methods, equipment, technologies and other innovation and evaluates their applicability given Eversource’s strategic goals.
- Molds the long-term company-wide resilience and reliability strategy by developing, linking and applying new and existing resiliency and reliability planning methods, models, equipment and technologies.
- Drives necessary regulatory changes to ensure successful implementation in applicable regulatory proceedings.
- Targets and looks out for synergies and efficiencies, inside and outside the group, including process automation and database development.
- Supports the group’s data collection, storage and management and data analytics efforts with an understanding of the criticality of these functions for a regulated utility.
- Works closely and across multiple departments to ensure resiliency plans and programs are vetted, socialized, and accepted and consistent with the rest of the company’s programs and continues to be involved in tracking the projects’ implementation..
- Supports Distribution Asset Management, including actively contributing to the development of tools and processes.
- Engages directly with vendors, partners, and government entities to support the development of new methods, obtain novel equipment, software and technology, initiate and support studies, to enable the transition to a more resilient system.
- Develops RFPs and procures services and technology as needed
- Serves during emergency restoration efforts.
- Presents internally to stakeholders as well as externally, for example in professional organizations like IEEE.
- Technical Knowledge/Skill/Education/Licenses/Certifications: Technical Knowledge/Skill:
- Highly knowledgeable in the electric distribution system, system planning and requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with distribution power flow models; familiarity with Synergi is preferred. Familiarity with risk-based models and probabilistic analysis is a plus.
- Must have thorough understanding of distribution reliability and resiliency improvement technologies and solutions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, infer and interpret information to solve highly complex problems. Self-imposes standards of excellence and has the ability to achieve desired results by effectively prioritizing work and assuming responsibility and accountability.
- Able to understand the various goals and requirements of the utility and correspondingly posit the company-wide resilience and reliability planning strategy in alignment
- Skill in working cross functionally with multiple other teams inside and outside system planning and with team members of various different backgrounds
- Must be an effective presenter
- Experience with coding in Python; former experience in using Python to automate simulations/ other software is a plus. General experience with other programming languages will be considered.
- Understanding of regulatory environment and regulatory requirements and commitment to a customer-first work ethic.
- Intermediate Excel skills, including VBA.
- Experience with Power-BI is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant quantitative field required
- Advanced degree preferred
- Experience :
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Distribution Engineering or Planning in a utility environment, or a related business area. Advanced degree work may supplement years of industry experience.
- Working Conditions:
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after you have been made a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs