Sumter Utilities Groundman UG in Southern Region, Maryland
Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks entry-level Groundmen forUnderground Distribution construction work.
This position is the beginning step on the pathway to become a professional Lineworker / Lineman / Journeyman.
Successful candidates will possess existing experience as a Laborer in some form of outdoor construction or utility work, with experience in underground excavation, boring, drilling and terminating being highly preferred. We are happy to consider those with experience in other underground utility work such as gas, cable, phone, telecom, water & sewer, etc. Preference may also be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire work crews.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
While it is not a requirement, completion of a "Pre-Apprenticeship" Lineworker training program will receive serious consideration in selecting candidates for these entry-level positions. This is particularly so for candidates who do not possess any prior work experience.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation and holidays, a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, company-paid STD and Life/AD&D Insurance as well as optional Critical Care Insurance, LifeLock Identity Protection and supplemental Life/AD&D Insurance. Benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following date of hire. We also offer a 401k Retirement Savings Plan with a substantial company match and immediate vesting. Following 6 months of continuous employment, interested employees may also apply to attend our DOL Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program. (Must have HS Diploma or equivalent and CDL.) Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Sumter Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace employer. NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Perform various manual tasks in the construction & maintenance of underground power systems.
• Able to understand, interpret and follow direction from Crew Foreman and senior crew members.
• Able to comprehend and apply training in Safety, First Aid and job/task specific topics.
• Willing and able to perform rigorous physical labor.
• Apply positive teamwork with fellow crew members .
• Demonstrate a professional appearance & attitude in dealings with co-workers, customers, subcontractors and the general public . • Assemble materials on the ground and as needed move into work area using safe methods. • Assist other crew members filling pole holes and trench using a shovel. • Flag traffic and set up job sites as directed. • Maintain organization of tools and materials on work vehicles. • Clean up and organize job sites at completion of work. • When aptitude is demonstrated and work allows, may receive training in the operation of vehicles, power equipment, tools and electrical systems. • Able and willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required. • Able to work for extended periods in various locations, when required. • Willing to work overtime, when required.
The employee is required to sit; frequently climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or maneuver up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or maneuver up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is primarily performed outdoors so physical exposure to often extreme weather conditions, animals and insects and other outdoor hazards is unavoidable and required.
Job LocationsUS-MD-Southern Region
Job ID 2021-1325
of Openings 10
Category Entry Level Non-Energized