PSEG Principal Staff Engineer P&C in South Plainfield, New Jersey
Requisition : 76448
PSEG Company: Public Service Electric & Gas Co.
Salary Range : $ 101,600 - $ 160,900
Incentive : PIP 15%
Work Location Category : Onsite
PSEG operates under a Flexible Work Model where flexible work is offered when job requirements allow. In support of this model, roles have been categorized into one of four work location categories: onsite roles, hybrid roles that are a blend of onsite and remote work, remote local roles that are primarily home-based but require some level of purpose-driven in-person interaction and living within a commutable distance, and remote non-local roles that can be effectively performed remotely with the ability to work in approved states.
PSEG offers a unique experience to our more than 12,000 employees – we provide the resources and opportunities for career development that come with being a Fortune 500 company, as well as the attention, camaraderie and care for one another you might typically associate with a small business. Our focus on combatting climate change through clean energy technology, our new net zero climate vision for 2030 and enhanced commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and supporting the communities we serve make this a particularly exciting time to join PSEG.
This is a senior position within the Electrical Controls Design group within the transmission and distribution projects & construction organization, utilizing a broad knowledge of electrical utility experience, engineering principles and practices acquired through progressive experience and education. Requires a strong technical background in controls and protection to develop and implement designs for existing and new transmission and distribution projects. At least 6 years of electrical protection controls (P&C) design experience working for an electrical utility or similar industry. Extensive experience in leading teams of designers and engineers on large complicated P&C design projects.
• Able to provide designs of the controls/protection for electrical utility projects for high and middle voltages of PSE&G Switching stations and Substations from 4kV up to and including 500kV.
• Proficient in working on the following Control drawings: one line diagrams, relay protection and control schematics, HV breakers, transformers, switchgears, GIS (gas insulation stations), instrumentation and alarm schematics, ESOC and SCADA controls, fiber optics, racks and panels views, wiring diagrams, equipment layouts, cable schedules and bill of materials.
• Working together with electrical layout designers and engineers, system protection, construction supervisors and field personnel.
• Provide guidance and reviews of control and protection designs done by other A&E’s or other junior designers or contractors.
• Provide technical expertise to the Divisions and construction personnel.
• Coordinate with vendors and manufacturers and review technical documentation as required.
• Lead and mentor junior designers and actively participate in technical discussions as needed by the projects.
• Able to organize design assignments and be the leader overseeing the work of junior level designers and contractors.
• Be an active participant and contributor to improvements in controls design standards and design processes.
• Ability to work extra hours on weekdays and weekends as might be needed to meet project schedules and emergency project schedules.
• Interface with other technical and project disciplines to support project schedules and milestones.
• Coordinate as required with system planners, designers, asset experts, project managers, vendors, and construction and operation personnel.
• Provide technical support during commissioning phases of projects.
• Must be able to provide support during system emergencies or equipment failures.
• As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
Job Specific Qualifications
• B.S in Engineering plus 6 years of experience. In lieu of a degree 10 years of equivalent technical experience.
• At least six years of utility experience and knowledge of electrical substations and switching stations equipment, e.g., transformers, circuit breakers, medium voltage switchgear, gas insulated stations (GIS), regulators, capacitor banks, disconnect switches, oil pumping plants, and associated electrical system for switching and substations and/or outside plant electric distribution and/or transmission systems.
• Candidate must possess a proficient knowledge of protective relay schemes and applications, SCADA, metering, A.C & D.C power and controls, alarms, fiber optic communication and equipment monitoring systems
• Proficient in working on one line controls, schematics for protective relays including microprocessor relays, control schematics, alarms, auxiliary power, SCADA and metering circuits, etc. and understanding of electrical layout drawings in order to effectively support projects.
• Clear and concise writing and verbal communications skills.
• Extensive experience in leading design teams in large complicated design projects including GIS projects.
• Experience in reviewing design work from other A&E’s to comply with PSE&G standards.
• Computer skills: MS Office (Word, Excel), Microstation Bentley Connect, Acrobat
• Because the job requires driving to company locations and off-site assignments and events, must possess a valid U.S. driver’s license with a safe and satisfactory driver history.
• Advanced degree MS or PhD, P.E license
• Familiarity with utility best practices, IEEE, ASME, NESC and NEMA Standards
• Working experience with PLCs, substation data concentrator or similar equipment, and fiber optics
• Knowledge of AUTOCAD software
Minimum Years of Experience
6 years of experience
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
PSEG is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legally protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics include race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
As an employee of PSEG you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
PSEG’s drug and alcohol testing program includes pre-employment testing, testing for cause, and post-incident/accident testing. For employees in federally regulated roles (including positions covered by USDOT, PHMSA, or NRC regulations), this also includes random testing. All drug and alcohol testing for federally regulated roles is inclusive of marijuana. Employees who transfer into a federally regulated role are subject to drug and alcohol testing, inclusive of marijuana.
PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through emPower which can be accessed through sharepoint.pseg.com (https://sharepoint.pseg.com/Pages/Home.aspx) by clicking on the emPower icon, then selecting careers. This site ( https://jobs.pseg.com/ ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees, with the exception of PSEG employees who do not have company email addresses.
PSEG is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and need assistance applying for a position, please call 973-430-3845 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need to request a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job, email email@example.com . Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
ADDITIONAL EEO/AA INFORMATION (Click link below)
Know your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal (https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/2022-10/22-088_EEOC_KnowYourRights_10_20.pdf)
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
Diversity at PSEG: Equal Opportunity Employer
PSEG is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. PSEG's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call 973-430-3845. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
PSEG is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
- PSEG Jobs