Eversource Energy Engineer- DER Planning in South Hadley, Massachusetts
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)The DER Planning Engineer in System Planning provides distribution focused subject matter expertise in DER power system studies and project development by carrying out assignments associated with the technical review and modeling of generation and storage facilities interconnecting with the distribution system. The role requires the modeling, analyses, and planning level designs of distribution lines and substation facilities in an electric power system. Typical DER studies include analyses of distribution connected generation and storage and their impact on the distribution system.
- Assists in development of the distribution system power flow model for the purpose of studying the interconnection of generation and storage.
- Assists in the assessment and analysis of proposed solutions associated with the integration of DER and associated impact on the ISO-NE regional system. This task includes:
- Works with distribution system planning and transmission interconnection engineers
- Verifies technical feasibility or soundness of proposed plans utilizing industry accepted techniques
- Develops design solutions and possible alternatives to mitigate identified assessment criteria violations
- Interfaces with DER, various line and substation engineering, asset management, siting, environmental and permitting, operations, etc. for the determination of planning needs and proposed plans
- Conducts assessments and develops options to meet DER interconnections by identifying key technical issues and developing proposed and alternative solutions.
- Applies industry and corporate distribution planning standards in conjunction with regulations of Federal, State and Local regulatory authorities
- Assists in analysis of the distributioninterconnections.
- Reviews and prepares Pre-Application Report requests
- Reviews assessment support for applications in the interconnection queue
- Manages the local impact analysis of distribution interconnections on the Eversource distribution system
- Works with distribution engineering, distribution planning and transmission interconnection departments
Other supporting tasks include:
- Represents the department and the company on various industry related committees.
- Participates with other utilities and the planning staff of the Independent System Operator (ISO) in the preparation of regional distribution and substation expansion studies.
- Employs teamwork with engineers in Distribution Engineering, System Planning and personnel elsewhere in Electric Operations or external to the company in performing analyses and providing technical support
- Manages the delivery of Eversource products and services to increase interconnection of generation and meet customer needs.
- Assists with preparing PAF’s & other internal authorization forms and present at monthly meeting
- Serves on specialized internal and external cross-functional teams, as necessary, to develop engineering solutions and customer satisfaction.
- Manages approved inverter list - Reviewing UL certifications to add inverters to our list of approved models for reference
- Clearly and effectively communicates the results of analyses and action plans both verbally and in writing to internal and external stakeholders
- Performs an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions
- Understanding of electrical engineering concepts such as DG, storage, reliability, load flow, flicker, stability, short circuit, voltage regulation, transients, power factor, losses, etc.
- Technical understanding of the parameters and functions used in the operation of the power delivery system as well as power industry fundamentals, practices, and standards
- Knowledge and experience using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, negotiation and persuasion skills both verbal and written.
- Follows Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
Education: Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Systems or related.
Experience: 3-5 years of related experience is required
Licenses & Certifications: EIT ispreferred.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires an individual who is newly hired into this position to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment. If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs