Sumter Utilities B Class Lineman UG in Savannah / Statesboro, Georgia
Sumter Utilities, Inc. (a Quanta Services company) seeks a B Class Linemen for work. Successful candidates will possess existing Underground Distribution experience as B Class or an apprentice class lineman able to demonstrate readiness to grow into a greater role. Preference may be given to candidates who are able to bring along additional qualified candidates to form entire crews.
SAFETY IS A CORE VALUE FOR OUR COMPANY so substantial weight will be given in the selection process to candidates demonstrating their shared commitment to safe operations.
We offer competitive wages, paid vacation and holidays, a full benefit package including Health, Dental, Vision, Optional Critical Care Insurance, LifeLock Identity Protection and both Company Paid & Supplemental Life Insurance as well. Benefits are available the 1st day of the next month following hire date. We also offer a 401k Retirement Savings Plan with a substantial company match.
After 6 months of employment, employees are eligible to apply for entry into SUI's DOL Certified 4-Year Apprenticeship Program. (Must have a HS Diploma or equivalent and CDL.)
Possession of a valid Class A CDL is HIGHLY PREFERRED. Those hired without a CDL may be required to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Sumter Utilities Inc. is an Equal Opportunity - Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Employer
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as requested to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
• Work safely while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized conductors.
• Capable of pulling in UG conductors and setting Streetlight poles.
• Maintains company vehicles, equipment and tools in good working order.
• Capable of comprehending & learning OSHA Standards for Shoring & Trenching.
• Able to perform rigorous physical labor.
• Capable of learning distribution voltages on a circuit.
• Must be familiar with induced voltage.
• Capable of learning to understand and read blueprints.
• Capable of assisting with inspecting and recognizing structural problems.
• Capable of assisting in troubleshooting.
• Able/willing to function within a Team environment and share knowledge with fellow crew members as appropriate.
• Able to work alone on de-energized lines.
• Capable of obtaining knowledge of wire pulling techniques.
• Able to assist with installing all types of compression connections.
• Capable of working in confined spaces.
• Capable of properly installing and removing PPE and cover up.
• Capable of properly inspecting rubber goods, covers and PPE.
• Understands how to tie various lineman knots.
• Capable of making up and using a hand line.
• Understands principles of proper equipment set-up.
• Able to identify different types of materials used in UG line work.
• Understands minimum approach distance.
• Understands flag and tag procedures.
• Capable of performing basic bucket rescue/escape.
• Able / willing to travel long distances on short notice, when required.
• Able / willing to work for extended periods in various locations, when required.
• Able / willing to work Overtime, when required.
The employee is required to sit; frequently climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, bend, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or maneuver up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or maneuver up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work is primarily performed outdoors so physical exposure to often extreme weather conditions, animals and insects and other outdoor hazards is unavoidable and required.
Job Locations US-GA-Savannah / Statesboro
Job ID 2020-1283
# of Openings 50
Category Lineman Level Energized