Pacific Gas & Electric Company Supervisor, Substation Electrical Engineering in San Ramon, California
Supervisor, Substation Electrical Engineering
Date: Mar 5, 2018
Location: San Ramon, CA, US, 94583-1319
Company: Pacific Gas And Electric Company
Requisition ID # 1346
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Supervisor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. And we deliver some of the nation#s cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan. Its the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Substation Electric Engineering Services team is responsible for electrical project engineering
and design work for PG&E substations. This group is an integral part of the Substation
Engineering Services organization which is responsible for the engineering and project
management of substation projects. The team is responsible for the following:
• Transmission Substation engineering and design
• Distribution Substation engineering and design
• Technical assistance on feasibility studies
• Technical coordination with Transmission Line Engineering and design
• Technical consultation (project options)
• Project scope, detailed estimates, material lists
• Equipment specifications
• Construction support
• Other activities as needed
The Supervisor of Electric Engineering Services will lead a team of Sr. Consulting,
Senior and Journey Project Engineers, Design Engineers, and Design Drafters to deliver quality
design products for electric substations in all regions on time and cost efficiently.
S/he will be responsible to work collaboratively with the Project Management team to build a
balanced engineering plan to ensure project scope, schedule and cost requirements are met. In
addition, s/he will be responsible for developing, tracking and communicating key performance
metrics such as Safety, Project Execution (design quality), Work Plan Achievement (financial
project performance), Work Plan Schedule Achievement (meeting project milestones). S/he will
lead his/her team in adoption and proficiency of new technologies to better support project success
• 5 years of relevant experience in electrical engineering and design (preferably substation).
• 2 years of leadership experience (supervision or a lead role)
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• Strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and interpersonal skills
• Registered Electrical P.E.
• Knowledge of Transmission or Substation engineering, design and construction experience
• Familiarity with PG&E standards and design processes
• Familiarity with ESC, Local 20 – Labor contract
• Strong MS Office skills: Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Familiarity with Project scheduling tools: MS Project, Primavera (P6)
• Supervise and lead a team of 18-25 Project Engineers, Design Engineers, Design Drafters and
an Engineering Assistant.
• Actively promote safe work practices in accordance with PG&E’s strong commitment to Safety.
• Ensure a safe work environment and manage overall safety for the team. Provide open and
honest communication of Company objectives and initiatives and coach, mentor and lead staff to
ensure that Company and Department vision and goals are well understood and that team
performance supports them.
• Foster greater understanding of the key role that Substation Engineering and Design plays in
supporting project success (scope, schedule and costs). Promote better understanding of both
Project Management and Construction practices to better support project work.
• Remove hurdles that impact project support success.
• Promote accountability of team for quality, financial results and schedule attainment in support of
substation projects through employee engagement, recognition and ongoing coaching.
• Plan and maintain a visible and stable short and long term production schedule by working
closely with his/her team and the Project Management team and Substation Construction.
• Make timely and effective decisions regarding internal work and work to be contracted.
• Foster teamwork and innovation and embrace and support new technologies to improve
performance of team.
• Build a strong team by providing ongoing performance feedback and technical support.