PG&E Supervisor, Substation Electric Engineering Services in San Ramon, California
Requisition ID # 46885
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Supervisor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
The Substation Owners Engineering team is responsible for overseeing project engineering and design work that is contracted out for PG&E substations. The team is responsible for the following:
• Transmission Substation engineering and design
• Distribution Substation engineering and design
• Technical assistance on feasibility studies
• Technical coordination with Transmission Line Engineering and design
• Technical consultation (project options)
• Project scope, detailed estimates, material lists
• Equipment specifications
• Construction support
• Oversight to engineering contractors
• Other activities as needed
The Supervisor of the Owners Engineering will lead a team of Sr. Consulting, Senior and Journey Project Engineers, Senior Design Engineers and EA’s. The team is responsible to oversee contracted engineering and design and ensure quality design products for electric substations in all regions on time and cost efficiently. S/he will be responsible to work collaboratively with the Project Management team to build a balanced engineering plan to ensure project scope, schedule and cost requirements are met. In addition, s/he will be responsible for developing, tracking and communicating key performance metrics such as Safety, Project Execution (design quality), Work Plan Achievement (financial project performance), Work Plan Schedule Achievement (meeting project milestones). S/he will lead his/her team in adoption and proficiency of new technologies to better support project success. S/he will be responsible to develop and maintain a relationship with our contractors so that they are knowledgeable/aware of our process, meet our expectations, keep us in compliance, delivery a quality product and ensure a safe working environment.
• 5 years of relevant experience in electrical engineering and design (preferably substation).
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
• 2 years of leadership experience (supervision or a lead role)
• Strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and interpersonal skills
• Registered Electrical P.E.
• Knowledge of Transmission or Substation engineering, design and construction experience
• Familiarity with PG&E standards and design processes
• Familiarity with ESC, Local 20 – Labor contract
• Strong MS Office skills: Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Familiarity with Project scheduling tools: Clarity, MS Project, Primavera (P6)
• Supervise and lead a team of Owners Engineers, Design Engineers, and Engineering Assistants.
• Actively promote safe work practices in accordance with PG&E’s strong commitment to Safety.
• Ensure a safe work environment and manage overall safety for the team. Provide open and honest communication of Company objectives and initiatives and coach, mentor and lead staff to ensure that Company and Department vision and goals are well understood and that team performance supports them.
• Foster greater understanding of the key role that Substation Engineering and Design plays in supporting project success (scope, schedule and costs). Promote better understanding of both Project Management and Construction practices to better support project work.
• Remove hurdles that impact project support success.
• Promote accountability of team for quality, financial results and schedule attainment in support of substation projects through employee engagement, recognition and ongoing coaching.
• Plan and maintain a visible and stable short and long term production schedule by working closely with his/her team and the Project Management team and Substation Construction.
• Make timely and effective decisions regarding internal work and work to be contracted.
• Foster teamwork and innovation and embrace and support new technologies to improve performance of team.
• Build a strong team by providing ongoing performance feedback and technical support.
• Build a strong relationship with our contractors that ensures our success
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively recruits and hires a diverse workforce.
- PG&E Jobs