Pacific Gas & Electric Company Category Manager, Principal - Gas Sourcing in San Ramon, California
Requisition ID # 17702
Job Category : Procurement / Supply Chain
Job Level : Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Gas Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States.And we deliver some of the nation's cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. For PG&E, Together, Building a Better California is not just a slogan.It's the very core of our mission and the scale by which we measure our success. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services.They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability status, medical condition, protected veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic informationor any other factor that is not related to the job.
The Sourcing organization is the functional lead for the procurement of materials and services at Pacific Gas and Electric Company. The department collaborates with internal clients and suppliers managing $5 billion of annual company spend to develop mutually beneficial total cost solutions for goods and services. The department provides the following services to internal clients: procurement of goods and services, strategic sourcing and cost savings, contract management, supplier relationship management, supplier diversity planning, execution and outreach, compliance management, ongoing procurement field support and management of the procure to pay cycle.
We are seeking a Strategic Sourcing Category Manager, Principal for Gas Transmission Services. This position is located in San Ramon, CA and will report to the Gas Sourcing Portfolio Manager. This is an individual contributor position in PG&E’s Supply Chain organization and will interact mainly with the Gas Operations lines of business. The Category Manager, Principal, is a key role in the Supplier Relationship Management and Management and executive-level scorecard process. This position will manage Tier I categories up to $400 million of annual spend including pipeline integrity, gas valve automation, gas compressor station maintenance, gas storage, and transmission pipeline construction. The desired candidate will have demonstrated experience effectively setting strategy and managing high spend, low volume (Tier I) categories in alignment with the strategic business objectives.
This position will develop multi-year category plans to optimize cost savings, service excellence, diversity spend, and total cost of ownership for the assigned categories. The successful candidate will work with the Gas Operations Line of Business (LOB) to develop, source, negotiate major contracts and effectively influence LOBs decision making, including senior leadership, and to achieve understanding, acceptance, and commitment of sourcing strategies.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• 10 years of strategic sourcing or related industry experience
• Leading and managing complex cross-functional teams and projects
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship management skills
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
• 10+ years' work experience in the areas of procurement, sourcing and/ or contract management
• Experience working in Utility, Oil & Gas, Energy, and/or Construction industries
• MBA or equivalent advanced degree
• Six Sigma, CPSM, or other supply chain related business certification
• Experience negotiating complex contract structures and commercial deals, such as: Alliance, EPC, EPCM, Design-Build, Incentive Based, Target Cost, Time & Materials.
• Experience developing and managing competitive bidding process (RFI/RFP) for work over $10M
• Experience negotiating and handling supplier disputes/claims
• Ability to identify and resolve problems and implementation barriers
• SAP/SRM/Ariba/PowerAdvocate/ISNetworld proficiency
• Demonstrated leadership ability
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Ability to effectively influence others without authority to achieve understanding and commitment to act in support of ideas, programs or causes.
• Application of negotiating techniques, subject matter expertise, and strategy to obtain client commitment in an inclusive way that promotes mutual goals.
• Ability to extract, analyze, and use data to create business cases and executive level presentations.
• Understands steps of the strategic sourcing process and able to effectively implement strategic sourcing initiatives.
• Skilled in writing negotiation plans and effectively conducting fact-based negotiations with suppliers to achieve the best total cost of ownership for PG&E.
• Ability to develop and manage strategy for a category or categories of spend
• Ability to gather and analyze company, industry, and market information and evaluate the competitive dynamics and the impact of changes in technology and environment to identify suppliers and potential sourcing levers.
• Leads the development of category strategies of high complexity.
• Leads cross-functional team through strategic sourcing process and development/execution of negotiation strategies for high complexity spend categories.
• Develops and sustains mutually beneficial strategic relationships with tier 1 and cross-portfolio suppliers.
• Develops and review performance data with suppliers. Works with suppliers to drive ongoing value discovery. Facilitate periodic business reviews with client and suppliers to enhance satisfaction.
• Maintains awareness of industry and market trends through ongoing research. Applies market knowledge to guide leadership decision making.
• Subject matter expert for particular commodities or services in the industry.
• Sets market trends on particular commodities by working with the industry on best practices.
• Develops and manages multi-year category plans to generate cost savings, deliver service excellence and optimize diversity spending.
• Works with senior management to support strategic planning and decision-making at the officer level.
• Conducts and documents market research and supplier risk analysis to verify the financial health of existing and potential suppliers.