NextEra Energy Venture Capital Principal - Cyber & Tech Infrastructure in San Francisco, California
Venture Capital Principal - Cyber & Tech Infrastructure
Date: May 8, 2023
Location(s): San Francisco, CA, US, 94561Washington, DC, US, 20004
Company: NextEra Energy
Requisition ID: 64108
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.
Position Specific Description
NextEra’s mission is to lead the decarbonization of America by working to become the preferred partner for customers in every industry who share our vision of a sustainable, carbon-free future.
The Venture Capital Principal will join NextEra Energy Investments’ Enterprise Technology team. NextEra Energy Investments supports NextEra’s mission by backing companies building innovative products that will help NextEra grow efficiently and securely.
• Lead the research and sourcing of new investments in Cybersecurity, Identity & Access, Networking and Cloud Infrastructure
• Manage all aspects of transaction evaluation and due diligence
• Negotiate with CEOs, VCs and attorneys to structure and execute investment transactions
• Prepare and present clear and compelling investment memos for NextEra’s top executives
• Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders in relevant NextEra business units
• Partner with portfolio companies on business development both inside and outside NextEra
• 7+ years of experience in top-tier venture capital, technology-related management consulting, investment banking or equivalent experience as a startup CEO/CTO
• Active network of investors, entrepreneurs, enterprise customers and subject matter experts available to help in sourcing, due diligence and business development
• Highly analytical thinking and ability to conduct rigorous, independent research
• Deep knowledge of Cybersecurity, Infrastructure and other related enterprise tech sectors and systems, trends and opportunities
• Expertise in venture capital term sheets, deal documents and processes
• Expertise in financial analysis including forecasting, valuation and returns
• Ability to adapt, learn quickly and drive independent work with minimum guidance
• Leadership and management skills to help develop junior team members
• Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to thrive in a fast-paced venture team in its formative stages
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Industry relevant bachelor’s degree (master’s preferable)
The Enterprise Technology investing team is based in Washington, DC and the San Francisco Bay Area. NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), a Fortune 200 company included in the S&P 100 index, is headquartered in Juno Beach, Florida.
This role will be responsible for researching, screening, and evaluating potential venture capital investments. This position will source new opportunities and lead execution of transactions. Employees in this position conduct rigorous, independent research to evaluate potential investments.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Research and evaluate potential venture capital investments
Source new opportunities and lead execution of transactions
Conduct rigorous, independent research to evaluate potential investments
Network and build professional relationships
Lead teams for due diligence
Performs other job-related duties as assigned
Experience: 7+ years
- Master's - Business Administration
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Business Development
Organization: NextEra Project Mgmt
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies . Please see ourfor more information.
- NextEra Energy Jobs