Portland General Electric Journeyman Garage Mechanic, Salem Garage in Salem, Oregon
At PGE, our work involves dreaming about, planning for, and realizing a smarter, cleaner, more enduring Oregon neighborhood. Its core to our DNA and we haven’t stopped since we started in 1888. We energize lives, strengthen communities and drive advancements in energy that promote social, economic and environmental progress. We’re always on the lookout for people passionate about leading and being a part of teams that are advancing innovative clean energy solutions that are also affordable and accessible to all.
Journeyman Garage Mechanic - Salem
Headquarters: Salem Operations Center
RATE: $49.31 per hour
HOURS: Monday - Friday 3:00 PM - 11:30 PM
It is recognized that the Company is engaged in a public service requiring continuous operation, and it is agreed that recognition of such an obligation of continuous service is imposed upon both the Company and the Union.
Under the direction of the Head Garage Mechanic, perform skilled journeyman-level work in the repair, preventive maintenance, overhaul, and rebuilding of a wide variety of diesel, gasoline, aerial, and construction equipment in the Hydraulic Shop.
DUTIES: (Essential Job Responsibilities)
• Work safely
• Perform preventive maintenance and safety inspections of vehicles and equipment; identify safety hazards and make necessary repairs and adjustments to assure safe operation of vehicles and equipment.
• Inspect assigned equipment; diagnose electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic problems and determine the extent of repairs. Test and repair associated components.
• Maintain complete and accurate records for work orders, such as time, materials, parts, and description of work performed.
• Ensure that work performed is consistent with established standards and time lines.
• Observe all motor vehicle laws and ensure the safety of vehicles.
• Perform skilled work involving the major overhaul and rebuilding of all aerial lifts, diggers, and cranes.
• Inspect and adjust hydraulic and air brakes.
• Perform metal fabrication on occasion.
• Furnish own hand tools through 1-1/4 inch.
• Must be able to use the Fleet Focus computer system.
• Inspect, troubleshoot, and repair a variety of heavy-duty truck suspension systems.
• Perform maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting on a variety of aerial equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: (Knowledge/Skills/Experience Required)
• Be a current PGE journeyman garage mechanic.
• Knowledge of hydraulic and air brake systems.
• Knowledge of equipment modification and rebuild techniques of aerial equipment.
• Knowledge of safety regulations, OSHA and ANSI.
• Five years' current experience in the maintenance, repair, and overhaul of aerial equipment.
• Effective oral and written communication skills; effective ability to work in small groups and committees.
• Basic knowledge of hazardous wastes/MSDSs/oil spill prevention.
• Ability to work at varying heights and perform climbing.
• Must possess and maintain a valid CDL driver’s license.
• Ability to read and comprehend schematics, drawings, and instruction manuals.
• Working knowledge of computers and applications such as E-mail and Fleet Focus
• Required to live within a reasonable distance of headquarters.
The position for which you are applying is covered under the Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations as defined in 49 CFR Part 40 and 49 CFR Parts 380, 390 and 391 which became effective on October 29, 2004. If you have been employed by PGE for less than 3 years, once you submit your Bid, you will receive a Supplemental Application form. The information you provide on the form related to the names and addresses of your previous employers during the preceding 3 years, dates of employment, reasons for leaving employment, whether you were subject to FMCSA while employed, whether your job was designated as a safety sensitive function in any DOT mode, may be used and your previous employers may be contacted.
During the probationary period following reassignment to any job, at least two progress reports will be completed. These reports will be discussed with the employee by his/her immediate supervisor, and copies of each will be given to him/her.
$49.31 - $49.31
Starting pay is listed in the job posting above. Salary range determined by the current collective bargaining agreement and may include step increases based on time in the position.
PGE believes in rewarding dedicated performance. We provide a total rewards package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future. To find out more, click here. (https://assets.ctfassets.net/416ywc1laqmd/5rvsxACvoPRBYoeFTcGLhs/b74f3a4de96aadb65ff94e21a89482c8/Benefits_Summary_-_Most_Union_Employees-HRCS.pdf)
Join us today and power your potential!
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
PGE does not discriminate on the basis of disability. We recognize individuals have a variety of abilities to offer and we believe there is much to value and celebrate by incorporating different abilities into the work we do. One very important way we live this out is in our application and interview process. We work hard to support individuals who may need an accommodation to fully participate in these processes. If you feel you may need an accommodation, or would like to request one, please notify the Talent Acquisition Specialist (Recruiter) associated with the job posting. You may also make this request by contacting email@example.com or by calling 503-464-7250. The Recruiter will provide information and next steps for the accommodation process. Our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) team is also available for support. You can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org .
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. Posting closes at midnight (Pacific Time) on the closing date below. If no date is listed, job is open until filled.
At Portland General Electric, we’re innovators, builders, and achievers. We’re committed to powering our customers’ potential and making a difference for our community and the planet. Today, that commitment includes developing an intelligent and resilient electric grid, electrifying transportation and de-carbonizing the energy sector.
We’re proud to deliver an exceptional experience to help our customers thrive. Our mission is to make clean, reliable and affordable energy services available to all. We obsess over serving customers and are committed to growing employee career paths with purpose. Equity and inclusion are core business values; we celebrate our differences and are committed to developing teams that reflect the communities we serve.