Spire Energy Intern, Corporate Insurance (Workers Comp, Risk Management) in Saint Louis, Missouri
Intern, Corporate Insurance (Workers Comp, Risk Management)
Apply now »
Date: Nov 8, 2021
Location: Saint Louis, MO, US, 63101
Company: Spire Inc.
At Spire, we believe energy exists to help people. To enrich their lives, grow their businesses, advance their communities. It’s a simple idea, but one that’s at the heart of our business. We’re dedicated to understanding our customers’ needs and goals to better serve them today and tomorrow. That’s why we’re always looking for driven, collaborative people to join our team. Because we believe that offering our customers the best service means bringing together the best people.
We value safety, inclusion, and integrity. We connect to people, get the job done, and leave a memory and everything about our culture comes back to one thing: a handshake at the front door. We have 4 essential behaviors that show how the Spire culture comes to life:
Living Spire Behaviors
We Collaborate: We reach across boundaries to connect with each other and deliver on our promises. We put teamwork first, knowing that our collective energy makes us stronger.
We Care: We create good memories by treating people how we want to be treated: We are inclusive, respectful and kind. We actively create a caring culture that feels like a handshake at the front door.
We Advance: We are active learners who never stop looking for ways to innovate and improve ourselves, and our company. We embrace ongoing development and process improvement with passion and tenacity.
We Have Perspective: We strive to gain additional perspective about Spire’s business and the ever-changing energy industry. We know that every employee plays an important role in Spire’s success, and we give our best to better understand how to help move the company forward.
The Insurance Programs area of Spire offers a variety of project-based work, which will provide meaningful support for our efforts to help reduce the impact of injury and liability claims on our community, customers and employees. Insurance Programs includes Workers Compensation, Claims and administration of our various insurance programs to manage risk. This learning opportunity will offer you hands-on experience at our main corporate office, and as an intern, you will have the opportunity to learn about all these areas and experience a customized internship built around your expertise, interests and strengths.
We are looking for a capable database analyst to support research, analysis and reporting activities related to loss control/risk mitigation. Spire utilizes a Gartner magic quadrant leader risk management information system, or RMIS, called Origami Risk. This cloud-based software is used to gather, document and manage information for the entire claim lifecycle – from reporting and intake of incidents through the workflow administration and the ultimate reimbursement and resolution. Project-based work available in this internship will help enhance our intake, analysis and reporting capabilities leveraging Origami’s SQL-based platform – identifying and analyzing trends and “hot spots” of claims volume, costs and causes to help reduce or prevent them in the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Spend time becoming familiar with our Claims and Workers Compensation areas and understanding our RMIS database, Origami
• Work with department managers and specialists in these areas to determine goals and effective analysis to be performed with the database of information
• Develop analytical reports to help visually identify areas of concern, support quantification of the impact of issues, and assist with drills-downs to research root causes
• Support development of persuasive presentation and training material for purposes of collaborating with Safety and Field Operations on ways to reduce claims frequency and severity
• Database work will also involve reviewing current data, intake forms and structure to propose and facilitate user-friendly and administrative enhancements to the database
• Work on final presentation representing all summer activities
Required Education (certifications, licenses)
Junior or Senior Currently enrolled at an accredited University working towards a Bachelor’s degree
Computer science major with training in SQL, or major in business, risk management, mathematics or similar with strong background in computers and classwork in database management and SQL
Preference given to students with an interest in risk management and insurance
Required knowledge, skill and abilities
• Ability to demonstrate the core and job category competencies: customer-focused, results-driven, teamwork, communications, adaptability, initiative, problem solving and quality
• Ability to lead by example in support of the Company’s essential characteristics and values: strong ethics and integrity, dedication to a safe work environment, commitment to a diverse workforce that recognizes and respects every individual’s unique skills and perspectives
• In addition to strong computer and database capabilities, candidate should have strong deductive reasoning skills and be able to manage large sets of data for analytical purposes
• Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills and be able to present information in a way that readily conveys the message and helps readers better understand the issue
Physical demands, environment and schedule
• Majority of work sitting/standing at a desk in an open concept environment, with at least two days a week reporting to the office, but flexibility to do some work from home
• Work hours will be chosen between 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, with overtime upon approval
• Intern will have orientation and final summer presentation in St. Louis
We Have Perspective
Spire accepts online applications through our career site at jobs.spireenergy.com
Posting requirements: The above posting description is intended to describe the general nature of the level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Spire, Inc., and its subsidiaries are Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all areas, including but not necessarily limited to, recruitment, selection, training, education, compensation, benefits, promotion, job transfer, upgrading, separation and recall regardless of the individual’s race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, and/or other protected categories under all Federal, State, and local laws. For more information, please view our Integrity and Inclusion pages of our career site.
Job Location: St Louis Job Segment: Risk Management, Manager, Computer Science, Database, SQL, Finance, Management, Technology
Apply now »
Find similar jobs: