Sacramento Municipal Utility District Sustainable Communities Project Manager II in Sacramento, California
Sustainable Communities Project Manager II
Sustainable Community Programs
No. of Openings:
Provides project management, community engagement, and professional skills needed to support SMUD's Sustainable Communities Initiative including to plan, organize, manage, coordinate, budget, and execute activities related to assigned projects to ensure adequate, reliable, efficient, and cost-effective systems and projects.
This posting is also intended to create an eligibility list which may be used to fill future vacancies and can be active for up to two years.
This position is a non-Civil Service (at-will) position with a salary range of: $105,780 - $140,076
50051897 PROJECT MANAGER II
Base Salary Annual Low:
Base Salary Annual High:
Initial Review, Qualifications Interview, Hiring Interview
Pay Scale Group:
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field directly related to area of assignment. Equivalent experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis. (If no degree, 9 years’ experience required.)
5+ years of progressively responsible relevant project management work experience in one or more of the following technical areas: financial/economic analysis, marketing and customer research, technical and engineering analysis, or planning and business development to include at least one year in a responsible project leadership role.
Project management principles and practices; SMUD operations; SMUD policies, procedures, applicable MOUs, and other special agreements; federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertinent to area of assignment; cost control, scheduling, and budgeting principles and practices; performance measurement techniques; proposal preparation techniques; contractual mechanisms and common terms and conditions; accounting fundamentals; management reporting; management control system fundamentals; total quality management philosophies, change management experience, tools and techniques; practices for reviewing work assignments; safety policies, practices, and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Manage, plan, and coordinate diverse functions within assigned projects; provide effective reporting to executive management including written and oral communications, presentations, and reports; evaluate and resolve complex technical or management issues within a project; develop funding for projects; maintain adherence to budget and schedule using a matrix organization; negotiate with internal management personnel; identifying multiple solutions and objectively assess advantages and disadvantages of each; provide coaching, motivation, and skills development to assigned staff; set project goals/objectives and define activities that must be performed to accomplish them; utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
Sacramento - S Street
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
• Coordinates activities and projects in assigned area; develops necessary project plans, cost estimates, project budgets, work breakdowns and schedules, and project summary descriptions and justifications for department review.
• Provide high level support, oversight and strategic direction to all supporting functions within Sustainable Communities Initiative, with a clear understanding of environmental justice, health equity, and economic development concept. Assist with the overall management and administration of program activities and internal operation of Sustainable Communities Initiative.
• Facilitate internal and external change management implementation.
•Develop strategies in partnerships to drive effective cross-functional and cross-collaboration alignment.
• Facilitate advisory meetings enabling cross collaboration amongst different teams and assist in decision development.
• Facilitate public meetings enabling cross collaboration amongst different communities and institutional sectors and assist in decision development.
• Serve as subject matter expert, handling inquiries and developing action plans to address them, and assisting with the preparation and dissemination of communication.
• Manage portfolio and strategic business initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of the Director.
• Coordinates project planning with other staff through meetings and shared written and oral reporting and communications.
• Ensures assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of assigned projects; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, guides, reviews, and conducts work activities associated with assigned projects in accordance with established task objectives and schedule as outlined in the project plans.
• Reviews the work of project team members; ensures work methods meet SMUD policies and quality standards; provides project guidance to project team; prepares employee performance evaluations, conducts one-on-one feedback sessions, and identifies and implements development actions to improve employee performance and skill base.
• Negotiate, prepare, and manage partnership agreements and other contracts with outside contractors as needed; directs contractor activities in accordance with contract requirements.
• Develop and monitor project resources as necessary to complete project tasks ensuring proper and efficient use of SMUD and other participant resources and smooth coordination with external parties.
• Ensures the availability of timely and accurate project status and related information on assigned projects; collects, verifies, organizes, and maintains data; prepares and provides written summaries, reports, and recommendations for SMUD projects; responds verbally or in writing to inquiries on projects from SMUD management, Board of Directors, regulatory bodies, other utilities, public agencies, and other SMUD departments.
• Performs related duties as required.
Additional Posting Info for Candidate:
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're \"Happy, satisfied and engaged\" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
To apply, please visit: smud.org/careers