Southern California Edison 2019 Summer Internship: (IT) Network & Telecom System Integration Services (Rosemead) in Rosemead, California
Energy for What’s Ahead
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
The role of IT goes beyond the traditional Information Technology “service provider.” Many of the innovative ideas and projects that shape the company’s future and move SCE forward are dependent on technology. IT employees are at the heart of these projects, collaborating, designing and executing technology solutions that are transforming our industry.
This position is part of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) University and Campus Relations Internship Program. The Summer Internship program is a 10-12 week paid opportunity to gain hands-on experience with meaningful work, while developing your skills, and building your network. The internship has an estimated start date of May/June 2019 and an estimated end date of August/September 2019.
SCE offers these programs with the belief that learning and development are important parts of building future leaders. Interns will also have the opportunity to participate in intern mixers, executive speaker series, site tours, community volunteer events, and cross-company networking.
We're big believers that diversity leads to innovation, creativity, and collaboration.
Information Technology (IT) – Grid Services. This internship opportunity will be in the Grid Services (C&C) department of the Information Technology (IT) organizational unit. The organization is responsible for managing critical 24x7 operational functions in support of the electric grid (electric and generation control systems, grid communication network, grid data center, grid and telecommunication operation centers and grid security operations).
The Grid Services department is comprised of the following divisions:
The Grid & Telecom Operations group of Grid Services is responsible for managing, operating, repairing, and maintaining SCE’s communication systems, which include data, voice, and video, performing network capacity planning and performance management, providing consultation services for application and network performance, providing metrics and analytics for Operations, NERC-CIP, and General Rate Case, and manage vendor relations and contracts.
Examples of what our interns do:
• Analyze the in-take, tracking and reporting, close-out, performance monitoring and trending of over $100M in telecommunications projects including large T&D grid projects, Corporate Resources facility projects, IT network projects, and internal network refresh projects. Provide analytical support to measure the success of the internal operational functions and present process improvement recommendations to Grid Services Management team
• Meet with program manager weekly or more often if needed, to review project plan, action items/deliverables, issues and risks
• Develop, analyze, and model operational data to quantify the performance of the organization and design new approaches and methodologies to improve business functions
• Recommends solutions to new and complex problems, develops innovative strategies, quantifies the competitive performance of the organization's operations
• Coordinate requirements and project delivery with internal Network Services, Edison Carrier Solutions, Corporate Real Estate, Environmental, Construction and Maintenance.
Be currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Mathematics, Business Data Analytics, Statistics, Computer Information Systems or closely related field at an accredited institution with a graduation date of December 2019 or later.
• Preferred GPA of 2.8 or higher
• Experience with Excel Macros and/or analytics and reporting tools
Positions is located in Rosemead.
Official transcripts will be verified during the interview process.
Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
This position has been posted as an anticipated vacancy and may become available in the future. If this position becomes available and you meet the requirements, you will be notified via email to apply to the new posting. Please note you will not be sent a communication if this position does not become available
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125 years.