Dominion Energy Sr. Control Systems Engineer - Power Generation (I&C Engineer III) (Richmond, VA) in RICHMOND, Virginia
Sr. Control Systems Engineer - Power Generation (I&C Engineer III) (Richmond, VA)
Date: Nov 27, 2023
Location: RICHMOND, VA, US, 23219
Company: Dominion Energy
At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
Dominion's Power Generation Business Unit seeks a senior engineer with a controls and instrumentation background to support the Power Generation fleet (non-nuclear) with technical leadership and hands on Industrial Control System (ICS) expertise. This position is located at Dominion Energy’s Thomas F. Farrell II Building, 600 E. Canal Street, Richmond, Virginia.
The successful candidate will be able to provide the support noted below in accordance with standards, best practices, and regulatory requirements, for the Power Generation fleet and its auxiliaries:
1) Provide technical expertise and leadership in control system engineering, design, implementation, programming, configuration, commissioning, testing and troubleshooting in support of Power Station Industrial Control Systems along with all associated control system devices, computers, communications, networks, endpoint devices, and instrumentation. (ICS e.g.: Distributed Control Systems “DCS”, Programmable Logic Controller systems “PLC”, and SCADA)
2) Provide technical expertise in consultation, evaluation, recommendation, and development or review of specifications, work scopes, bid proposals, test procedures, alarm response procedures, commissioning plans, and vendor reports.
3) Provide hands on control system support and expertise for power generation and auxiliary power systems, including digital devices or systems with communications interface to control systems (e.g. inverters, drives, and protection relays for electrical power systems).
4) Manage/Lead projects and perform multiple responsibilities of controls engineering support in parallel and oversee vendor/contractor support when needed.
5) Provide support and leadership to meet NERC regulatory and ICS Cyber Security requirements as well as other regulatory compliance requirements, projects, initiatives, and activities relative to industrial controls and control systems.
6) Investigate technologies that will improve plant operation and performance (e.g. reliability, efficiency, environmental) and technologies that will assist with control system maintenance and analysis.
7) Perform due diligence for plant acquisition and evaluation of control system and instrumentation specifications for projects and new plant construction.
Control Systems may include (but not limited to): Emerson, GE, ABB, Allen-Bradley, Modicon, Wonderware, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
• 6+ years of professional engineering experience (post-school).
• At least six years of directly related Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) experience working on power stations or related heavy industrial applications.
• Strong Experience with Industrial Control Systems such as Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and/or Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and SCADA systems and associated control system devices, computers, communications, networks, endpoint devices, and instrumentation.
• In-depth knowledge of industry advances in control system monitoring, testing and analysis of control equipment; and controls theory.
• Strong knowledge and experience of electrical and electronics theory.
• Strong technical leadership skills and strong verbal/written communication skills.
• Experience and foundation with Ethernet network switches and serial digital communications, including third party datalink protocols (Modbus, DNP, AB-PLC).
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects and assignments concurrently and manage deadlines.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to successfully work both independently and in a team environment to identify errors, pinpoint root causes, and devise solutions with minimal oversight.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
• Strong knowledge and experience of power plant controls, steam turbine control systems, combustion turbine control systems, balance of plant control systems, solar power generation control systems, and battery storage control systems.
• Strong computer skills foundation as relates to operating systems, controls system software, and communications software.
Education Level: Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Other Bachelor of Engineering disciplines may be substituted for the approved disciplines stated above at discretion of the hiring manager.
At least six years of professional engineering experience (post-school)
REQUIRED ENGINEERING CRITERIA:
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a postgraduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry, Math or Engineering Technology and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Licenses, Certifications, or Quals Description
Holds or previously held a valid U. S. Professional Engineer license
Cold Up to 25%
Energized Wires Up to 25%
Heat Up to 25%
Loud Noise Up to 25%
Operating Machinery Up to 25%
Outdoors Up to 25%
Radiation Up to 25%
Other Working Conditions
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Nearest Major Market: Richmond
Job Segment: Nuclear Engineering, Controls Engineer, Testing, Construction, Power Plant, Engineering, Technology, Energy
- Dominion Energy Jobs