Dominion Energy Engineer II - Power Generation Controls and Instrumentation in RICHMOND, Virginia
Engineer II - Power Generation Controls and Instrumentation
At Dominion Energy we love our jobs. That’s right. Love. Every day we go to work filled with passion to be excellent, to creatively problem solve and to innovate. These are exciting days for energy companies, and Dominion Energy aims to shape the future of energy in America. We are looking at all of our work with fresh eyes, retooling everything we do, in every part of the company, to operate more sustainably and to deliver energy more reliably than ever. We are looking for interesting, independent thinkers and doers who can help shape the culture of a forward-looking company that’s proud of its rich legacy. Are you a change agent? Do you think differently? Do you want to fall in love with your job? If you answered “yes,” then read on!
At this time, Dominion Energy cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position.
Dominion's Power Generation Business Unit seeks an engineer with a controls and instrumentation background to support the Power Generation fleet (non-nuclear) with technical leadership and hands on Industrial Control System (DCS/PLC/SCADA) expertise. This position is located at Dominion Energy’s 600 Canal Place location in Richmond, Virginia.
1) Provide technical expertise and leadership in control system engineering, design, implementation, programming/configuration, commissioning, testing and troubleshooting in support of power plant controls and Industrial Control Systems (ICS e.g. Distributed Control Systems “DCS”, Programmable Logic Controller systems “PLC”, and SCADA), along with all associated control system devices, computers, communications, networks, and instrumentation;
2) Provide technical expertise in consultation, evaluation, recommendations, and development/review of specifications, work scopes, bids, test procedures, alarm response procedures, commissioning plans, and vendor reports;
3) Provide support and leadership to meet NERC regulatory and ICS cyber security requirements as well as other regulatory, compliance and cyber security requirements, projects, initiatives, and activities relative to controls and control systems;
4) Manage/Lead projects and perform multiple responsibilities of controls engineering support in parallel with project involvements and oversee vendor/contractor support when needed;
5) Investigate technologies that will improve plant operation and performance and technologies that will assist with control system maintenance and analysis;
6) Provide hands on control system support and expertise for power generation and auxiliary power systems, including digital devices or systems with communications interface to control systems (e.g. inverters, drives, and protection relays for electrical power systems);
7) Perform due diligence for plant acquisition and evaluation of control system and instrumentation specifications for projects and new plant construction;
Control Systems may include (but not limited to): Emerson Ovation, GE, ABB, Allen-Bradley, Modicon, Wonderware, Schweitzer RTAC
Relocation assistance can be provided to the successful eligible candidate.
Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
The knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences required for entry into this job include the following:
⦁ 3+ years of professional engineering experience (post-school) with an ABET- accredited engineering degree;
⦁ At least three years of directly related Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) experience working on power plants or related heavy industrial applications;
⦁ Substantial Experience with Industrial Control Systems such as Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), SCADA systems and associated control system devices, computers, communications, network switches/devices, and instrumentation;
⦁ Substantial demonstration of hands-on experience with power generation Industrial Control Systems and skills in the use of modern control techniques;
⦁ Substantial knowledge of industry advances in control system monitoring, testing and analysis of control equipment; and controls theory;
⦁ Substantial knowledge and experience of power plant controls, steam turbine control systems, combustion turbine control systems, balance of plant control systems, and solar power generation control systems;
⦁ Knowledge and experience of electrical and electronics theory;
⦁ Strong technical leadership skills and strong verbal/written communication skills;
⦁ Substantial foundation of computer skills as relates to operating systems, controls system software, and communications software.
⦁ Ethernet network switch and serial digital communications foundation and experience, including third party datalink protocols (Modbus, DNP, ABPLC).
⦁ Ability to coordinate multi-project assignments and manage deadlines.
⦁ Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently and in a team environment to identify errors, pinpoint root causes, and devise solutions with minimal oversight.
Note: A partial year of related work experience of 6 months or more rounds to one full year of qualifications.
The company is actively seeking United States military veterans and service members who meet the qualifications.
• Military service members and veterans with ranks from E3-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O3, plus appropriate equivalent combination of education and years of experience as outlined encouraged to apply.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Engineering
REQUIRED ENGINEERING CRITERIA:
For placement of a candidate in the Engineer job series, the following criteria must be met:
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an ABET accredited engineering program based on the year that the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from an institution outside of the U.S. which is accredited through the country's own engineering accrediting body under the Washington Accord as a full signatory, and is a degree that was recognized by the country's accrediting body on or after the date that full signatory status was achieved, or
Possess a 4-year engineering degree from a non-ABET accredited program and a postgraduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Possess a 4-year degree in Physics, Chemistry, Math or Engineering Technology and a post-graduate engineering degree from an institution where the undergraduate degree in the same engineering discipline is ABET accredited based on the year the engineering program was accredited by ABET, or
Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license.
Licenses, Certifications, or Quals Description
Depending on functional responsibilities and location of position must review ANS 3.1 12/79, ANSI N18.1-1971 or ANSI/ANS 3.1-1993 and DOM-QA-1 as appropriate.
Cold Up to 25%
Energized Wires Up to 25%
Heat Up to 25%
Loud Noise Up to 25%
Office Work Environment 76 -100%
Operating Machinery Up to 25%
Outdoors Up to 25%
Radiation Up to 25%
Other Working Conditions
No Testing Required
Certain positions at Dominion Energy may involve access to information and technology subject to export controls under U.S. law. Compliance with these export controls may result in Dominion Energy limiting its consideration of certain applicants.
We offer excellent plans and programs for employees. Employees are rewarded with a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package which may include: health benefits with coverage for families and domestic partners, vacation, retirement plans, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and much more. To learn more about our benefits, click here
Dominion Energy is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status.
You can experience the excitement of our company – it's the difference between taking a job and starting a career.
Top 3 Reasons to Work at Dominion Energy 1. Great Work Life Balance2. Generous Pay and Benefits3. Collaborative & Inclusive Culture
About Dominion Energy I am your warm cup of coffee in the morning and I light your home at night. I am the cool breeze from your A/C on the hottest day in summer, and the red coil that heats your soup pot on a frigid winter’s day. I am sustainable, reliable and affordable. I am not just any energy… I am Dominion Energy. We're transforming the way we do business to build a more sustainable future for the planet, our customers, our team and our industry. We're shaping the future of energy in America. Join us!
Facts:·17,000 employees·Headquarters: Richmond, VA·16 states in the US·$100 billion of assets·Nearly $35 million in charitable contributions·100,000+ volunteer hours recorded in the community
Nearest Major Market:Richmond Job Segment: Controls Engineer, Engineer, Construction, Instrumentation, Electrical, Engineering
Check out other featured jobs:
- Dominion Energy Jobs