Avangrid Project Engineering Manager in Portland, Oregon
Project Engineering Manager
Company: AVANGRID RENEWABLES, LLC
Portland, OR, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
The Senior Project Development Engineer in the Projects Department will organize and conduct engineering activity associated with development, existing, and operating renewable energy projects. Principal focus is on completion of preliminary engineering to pace with overall project development, contractor bidding, project approval, and transition to Construction Engineering. The position will provide development support, engineering analysis and design necessary to reach sound conclusions and recommendations relative to performance, economic feasibility, and operations of proposed or existing energy facilities.
• Serve as technical interface/lead with respective teams, including Development, Permitting, Transmission, Estimating, Scheduling, Resource, Risk Assessment, and Project Management teams.
• Direct preliminary transmission, substation and collection system design, as well as electrical and civil design basis and scope documentation of wind, PV, and BESS projects.
• Define base case and alternative configurations for design of renewable projects to meet reliability, protection, and interconnection requirements. Coordinate design optimization and identify cost and other improvement opportunities.
• Manage external engineering partners. Collaborate externally and internally throughout projects’ development, with consideration of construction and operations requirements and lessons learned. Organize design review with external/internal engineering and non-technical teams.
• Support transmission interconnection planning, contracting, and transmission owner coordination. Manage electrical studies to define electrical parameters of the project and components, including review and input into interconnection study reports, and definition of grid integration and interconnection requirements.
• Coordinate engineering with permitting requirements to ensure designs respect wetlands, sensitive areas, stormwater treatment, erosion and sedimentation requirements, and all other identified constraints.
• Contribute to development and maintenance of design standards and criteria for project infrastructure. Oversee quality aspects of engineering, including ensuring compliance with design standards and accuracy of documentation, field analysis and reporting, and test data.
• Assist in project prioritization, including technical due diligence and resource management, in conjunction with other departments.
• Lead collaborative analysis and review of projects, studies, and best practices with Global Engineering groups.
• Support internal approval process to ensure project risks are identified, understood, and addressed.
• Collaborate with the Projects execution team for smooth transition from Development to Construction and as needed during the execution phase.
Skills and Requirements
• Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering discipline or an equivalent in education and experience.
• 2+ years’ experience in electric generation project development and/or project management.
• Working knowledge of renewable energy industry construction practices.
• Aptitude to remain flexible during fluctuating development stages and strategy.
• Ability to analyze, review, and integrate many different engineering disciplines, such as electrical (transmission, substation, collection) and civil (geotech, structural, roads, transportation) for different applications (PV, wind, BESS, hydrogen).
• Proven experience with consultant/vendor selection, management, and contracting/procurement.
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including effective negotiating and dispute resolution skills.
• Proficiency using personal computer tools such as: Word, Excel, MS Project, Google Earth, AutoCAD, Visio, power system analysis, Outlook, ESRI.
• Up to 50% travel required, depending on level of project development activity.
Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
• 5+ years’ experience in renewables project engineering and construction.
• Experience in substation design and engineering.
• Experience in PV design and proficiency in use of PVCase, PVSyst, and other PV design tools.
• Experience in battery energy storage system development, analysis, engineering, and/or construction.
• Civil experience in geotechnical investigation, structural analysis, and/or road design
• Ability to navigate and succeed in a highly matrixed reporting structure, preferably at an international company.
• Advanced degree in Engineering or Business.
• Professional Engineering (PE) registration.
Important note: please include a cover letter in your application.
Please also note that AVANGRID currently has a COVID-19 vaccination Policy in place that, among other requirements, requires all employees to disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status. Any applicant who receives a conditional offer will be required to submit acceptable documentation regarding their COVID-19 vaccination status after receiving such conditional offer and prior to commencing employment. This Policy also requires all employees to either become fully vaccinated or to undergo weekly testing beginning on February 9, 2022. All AVANGRID policies may be modified or discontinued at any time, for any reason at the Company’s full and sole discretion.
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Please note that any applicant who is not a citizen of the country of the vacancy will be subject to compliance with the applicable immigration requirements to legally work in that country
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com