Avangrid NCC Operator in Training II in Portland, Oregon
NCC Operator in Training II
Company: PPM TECHNICAL SERVICES, I
Portland, OR, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
The Power System Operator I (PSO I) is responsible for the safe and reliable operation and the economical generation dispatch of Avangrid’s generation facilities according to system and commercial requirements. The PSO I interfaces with plant personnel, Asset Management, Real Time Trading, generation facilities, transmission system operators, other personnel, and agencies operating the plants to optimize efficiencies and revenues while ensuring system stability.
• Operation of Avangrid Renewables' U.S power generation fleet.
• Operate power generation projects in compliance to permits, power sales agreements, generation schedules, and transmission operator requirements.
• Forecast plant performance based on multiple inputs including but not limited to; meteorological, turbine, power curve, plant performance at various wind speeds (plant power curve), real time equipment availability, plant constraints, and outages.
• Economical dispatch of generation, optimizing plant performance and revenues.
• Communicate and respond to directives from balancing authorities/transmission system operators.
• Troubleshoot system and turbine faults taking corrective actions as appropriate.
• Evaluate system alarms and irregularities taking corrective action accordingly.
• Interpret turbine, SCADA, substation, transmission, and other system data taking actions to optimize plant performance.
• Monitor AGC and SCADA response for plants on AGC including MISO DIR, ERCOT nodal, and PJM AGC. Coordinate with each RTO generation dispatcher the return of units from outage.
• Monitor, interpret, and notify site personnel of potentially dangerous site conditions.
• Ensure reliable telemetry, monitor data flow, and manage system data.
• Performs switching operations using established procedures in coordination with field personnel.
• Optimizes wind generation in BPA with available balancing resources to target a zero error including dispatching peaking units and on-demand tagged resources.
• Respond to voltage dispatches by switching reactive equipment in and out of service and monitoring projects for voltage schedule compliance.
• Work in concert with asset and wind plant managers regarding outage management and other operational requirements.
• Interpret and respond to substation alarms and inform appropriate personnel to troubleshoot.
• Perform periodic and real time system reporting.
• Evaluate and troubleshoot systems and networks, perform real time maintenance and corrective actions.
• Understands and adheres to applicable NERC reliability standards.
• Call-out field and emergency service personnel as appropriate.
• Adhere to effective internal controls.
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Skills and Requirements
• 1+ years’ experience as an OIT I within Avangrid’s National Control Center performing generation dispatch.
• 3+ years’ experience in real time operations, power plant and transmission operations, electrical, technical, or engineering roles.
• PJM & NERC generation dispatcher certifications
• Understanding of control room operations and generation dispatch.
• Ability to read and interpret requirements to operate generating systems, schematics and one-line diagrams.
• Familiar with MS Office, OSI PI, diagnostic and troubleshooting tools.
• Ability to work rotating shifts of 12 hours, including night shifts, weekends and holidays and be on-call.
• Demonstrate willingness to sustain NCC operations by providing short notice shift coverage, participating in inclement weather or disaster recovery protocols, and taking on special projects when assigned.
• Ability to travel (less than 10%).
• Experience in real time operations or a control room environment.
• Power plant operations.
• Electrical, technical, or engineering experience.
• Balancing authority operations.
Our Selection Process
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com