Portland General Electric Grid Operations Trainer (Staff or Senior) in Portland, Oregon
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Grid Operations manages PGE’s electrical system to ensure the delivery of safe and reliable power to our customers while enabling the integration of renewable resources, distributed energy resources, and the expansion of distribution automation.
The Grid Operations Trainer is an essential individual to the Grid Operations team. As a Subject Matter Expert in Grid Operations, they will use their expertise to teach and influence PGE’s current Grid Operators, solve complex problems and take a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions for the future. There are two positions available at either a staff level or a senior level. These roles will start in a remote work environment and/or in downtown Portland moving to the Tualatin Integrated Operations Center in early 2022.
• Designs and develops role-based training content for operations, systems (such as the ADMS and EMS), and simulation for PGE’s Grid Operations personnel. Content development includes material for classroom trainings, CBTs, and simulation exercises.
• Identifies Grid Operations personnel training deficiencies and proactively develops necessary training to support operations excellence.
• Partner closely with other training groups to ensure consistent use of training best practices and methodology and alignment with departmental short- and long-term training plans.
• Delivers training to Grid Operations personnel in a classroom setting, during simulator exercises, and on an individual basis.
• Tests, Analyzes, and supports the progression of Grid Operations operators through 1, 2, 3, 4, and Senior levels with hands on operational training evaluations and testing processes using the Learning Management System On-the-Job Training guides in conjunction with the Operator Training Simulator (OTS) with written examinations.
In addition, the Senior level is responsible for:
• Delivers presentations external to Grid Operations and/or PGE when requested.
• May lead functional teams or projects
Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, information systems or relevant field of study or equivalent experience.
Staff Level - Typically, five or more years working in an operations control room environment with a strong working knowledge of Transmission, Distribution, Balancing Authority operations, or with an electrical engineering or other technical degree supporting these roles.
Senior Level - Typically, eight or more years in a Grid Operations control room environment with a strong working knowledge of Transmission, Distribution, Balancing Authority operations, or with an electrical engineering or other technical degree supporting these roles.
• Experience in the field of adult education in an operational environment.
• NERC System Operator certification.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
At Portland General Electric, we’re innovators, builders, and achievers. We’re committed to powering our customers’ potential and making a difference for our community and the planet. Today, that commitment includes developing an intelligent and resilient electric grid, electrifying transportation and de-carbonizing the energy sector.
We’re proud to deliver an exceptional experience to help our customers thrive. Our mission is to make clean, reliable and affordable energy services available to all. We obsess over serving customers and are committed to growing employee career paths with purpose. Equity and inclusion are core business values; we celebrate our differences and are committed to developing teams that reflect the communities we serve.