Arizona Public Service Power Engineer III | Power Systems Engineering in PHOENIX, Arizona
Power Engineer III | Power Systems Engineering
Apply now »
Date: Feb 1, 2024
Location: PHOENIX, AZ, US, 85004-3903
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
Power Engineer III | Power Systems Engineering - APS is looking for a motivated engineer with experience and interest in working on the biggest machines around. Thousand horsepower motors, hundred-million-watt generators, and electrical equipment flowing thousands of amps are all part of a day’s work. As an Engineer III in the Electrical Plant Support group you will be relied upon to assist troubleshooting plant equipment, engage in new projects to ensure the most effective improvements, and supervise venders performing maintenance and repair on APS equipment. With a fleet of fifty-one generators across nine sites there is no better opportunity to work on diverse interesting projects. If you like digging into technical details, work in the field, and are a lifelong learner this job is for you! The ideal candidate will be comfortable working under tight timelines, safety conscious, and excellent at communicating technical details across disciplines and levels of leadership.
Work in this role will make use of:
Maintenance experience with electric generators ranging in size from a few kW to hundreds of MW
Expertise in electrical power cable properties for diverse cable types ranging up to 15,000 Volts
Maintenance and operational experience on medium voltage (1 to 15 kV) switchgear
Troubleshooting and design experience with relaying for overcurrent, differential, undervoltage, synchronization, and other typical functions associated with industrial power systems
Application experience with large (500+ hp) electric motors operating at medium voltage.
Experience with design, installation, and code requirements for electrical raceways (i.e. ductbank, trenwa, conduit types, cable tray, non-segregated bus, isolated phase bus)
Design and maintenance experience for power transformers larger than 20 MVA
Ability to troubleshoot miscellaneous instrumentation and controls components (PTs, CTs, thermocouples, motor starters, etc.)
Familiarity with performing arc-flash calculations
Proficiency in modeling electrical systems using software such as ETAP
Power Engineer III | Power Systems Engineering
Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from an ABET accredited institution
plus five (5) years working experience in Engineering-related positions.
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications:
Problem analysis/resolution techniques.
Knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices, methods and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline.
Experience in the utility industry.
Professional Engineer licensure.
1) Prepares engineering plans, designs, analysis, specifications, cost estimates, evaluations, studies, technical reviews, investigations and verifications. Complies with design, regulatory, operating and maintenance requirements. Ensures engineering analyses, design, project control, schedule commitments, or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations. Checks and reviews analysis, evaluations, and investigations of others.
2) Interfaces with customers and other departments to ensure project objectives are understood and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule. Contacts customers and various levels of management to obtain or present technical data. Presents the results of designs, studies projects (in terms of new techniques) or approaches to subordinates, colleagues, management and customers.
3) Enhances department performance and productivity and/or unit performance by formulating, coordinating, performing analysis and making recommendations for improvements. Provides technical assistance and guidance to department personnel to enhance department performance and productivity.
4) May provide oversight of engineering technical programs by managing the program requirements, working with cross organizational partners, reviewing and internalizing operating experience and coordinating corrective actions to ensure engineering program elements continue to remain healthy.
5) May assume responsibility for small- to medium-scale projects which include planning, designing, scheduling and coordinating all facets of the project. Identifies potential schedule or quality problems and initiates corrective action. Takes initiative to eliminate barriers and uses resources to ensure desired results. May interface with outside agencies and regulatory authorities.
6) Provides technical guidance and leadership to less experienced engineers.
7) May participate in developing long-range strategies for significant site problems.
8) Provides input to projects and recommends modifications to increase operating efficiency and/or reviews design and documentation of projects to ensure compliance with design specifications, schedules and any regulatory requirements.
9) Remains cognizant of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.