Salt River Project Outage Coordination & Operations Engineer 1, 2, Senior in Phoenix, Arizona
Outage Coordination & Operations Engineer 1, 2, Senior
Date: May 27, 2023
Location: Phoenix, AZ, US
SRP is one of the largest public power and water utilities in the U.S. providing electricity to approximately one million customers in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. Since its founding in 1903, SRP has fostered a culture of stewardship and customer service consistently ranking as an industry leader in customer service according to J.D. Power. SRP continues to adapt to its changing business environment by seeking innovative ways to reimagine utility service and the provision of critical resources essential to the life and economy of Arizona.
Provide engineering services to SRP in a technically sound, safe, timely and cost effective manner to enable SRP to realize its goals and objectives for providing water and energy related services.
• Provide leadership in achieving the safe, reliable and efficient operation of SRP's transmission system, and balancing authority area.
• Perform engineering analysis, studies and design work.
• Coordinate outages with internal and external stakeholders while minimizing risk to customer load.
• Develop mitigation strategies for outage and other operational constraints.
• Develop recommendations for stakeholder consideration, including presentations to management.
• Administer and review work performed by consultants and others, including neighboring utilities.
• Provide project management support for TGO initiatives.
• Provide engineering support in balancing SRP Generation with customer load (Balancing Authority - AGC).
• Provide engineering support in operating the transmission grid (PDO).
• Support the TGO training program by developing, instructing, and administering training.
• Knowledgeable in the use of the EMS Network Applications including power flow, contingency analysis and training simulation.
• Provide oversight and support for software, operating tools and enhancements.
• Provide operational perspective to key stakeholders on expansion plans, capital budgets, and construction and maintenance goals.
• Ensure compliance with NERC Standards, FERC Orders, and SRP Policies and Operating Practices.
• Support TGO's NERC Compliance Program including regulatory interpretation.
• Support operational readiness of the primary and backup control centers.
• Support control room improvements related to improved tools and situational awareness.
• Develop, enhance, review and approve operating practices and procedures.
• Develop summer preparedness and crisis management plans and participate in drills for disaster recovery events.
• Participate in the oversight and administration of a rotational engineering recruitment plan.
• Develop, improve, and maintain Operational Excellence and Human Performance goals for TGO.
• Perform event investigations, root cause analysis and remedial action plans.
• Serve on industry committees and task forces as a representative of SRP.
• Opportunity to achieve NERC Certification.
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum, an International Engineering Alliance (IEA) recognized institution, ABET Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) or any state or internationally recognized PE registration.
Five (5) years full time experience actively engaged in engineering practice. Must have demonstrated the successful accomplishment of work of the nature defined for the job of Senior Engineer.
Promotion to Level 2 requires a minimum of two years of experience at Level 1; demonstrated capability to perform advanced and more difficult work as determined by the supervisor. Promotion to Senior Level requires a minimum of three years of experience at Level 2; is fully competent in all aspects of functional area of assignment and as such would be recognized as a specialist in area of assignment and may have periodic or occasional lead responsibilities.
Responsible for project budgets and schedules. Occasional contacts with customers and outside agencies. Contacts with suppliers of equipment and services. Occasional travel to suppliers facilities, industry organizational functions and SRP facilities. Ability to work effectively with various organizational groups within SRP. Ability to use engineering tools required for the job (i.e., computer, test equipment, etc.).
Certifications or Testing Required
Must possess the appropriate valid Arizona driver’s license.
Requisition ID: 15723
SRP currently offers a hybrid workplace, which allows employees whose jobs can be performed remotely, and who have sufficient technical capability, to telework up to three days per week. Although teleworking is available, all employees must live and work in Arizona. We are taking steps to protect the health and well-being of all team members, and by following a number of health and safety protocols, to reduce the risk of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Salt River Project (SRP) recognizes diversity and inclusion as key drivers of innovation and growth, and seeks to attract a diverse employee base that reflects our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local law. Ultimately, SRP aspires to fully apply the power of diversity and inclusion to build a more equitable and sustainable future for our customers, employees and community.
Drug/Alcohol Policy Statement
In order to promote the safety and well-being of our employees, customers and the communities we serve, SRP is committed to maintaining a drug/alcohol free work environment. Although marijuana may now be legal in Arizona, except as otherwise specified under Arizona law, SRP considers it to be an illegal drug for the purpose of our drug/alcohol policy because marijuana remains illegal at the federal level. Any candidate found to be impaired during the hiring process or who has the presence of an illegal drug or unauthorized substance in their system during the pre-employment drug/alcohol test may be disqualified from further consideration in the hiring process.
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Currently, SRP does not sponsor H1B visas.
Why Work at SRP
SRP's success is rooted in our employees' happiness, health and safety. That's why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and enhance their well-being. In addition to competitive pay and performance incentives, eligible employees can take advantage of the following benefits:
• 401(k) plan with employer matching
• Retirement pension
• Paid vacation
• Parental leave
• Holiday pay
• Sick leave
• Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
• Wellness programs
• Pre-tax benefits
• Short and long-term disability plans
• Tuition assistance