Arizona Public Service Engineer II - Distribution Operations Engineering in PHOENIX, Arizona
Engineer II - Distribution Operations Engineering
Apply now »
Date: May 5, 2023
Location: PHOENIX, AZ, US, 85021-1808
Arizona Public Service generates clean, reliable and affordable energy for 2.7 million Arizonans. Our service territory stretches across the state, from the border town of Douglas to the vistas of the Grand Canyon, from the solar fields of Gila Bend to the ponderosa pines of Payson. As the state’s largest and longest-serving energy provider, our more than 6,000 dedicated employees power our vision of creating a sustainable energy future for Arizona.
Since our founding in 1886, APS has demonstrated a strong commitment to our customers in one of the country’s fastest growing states, earning a reputation for customer satisfaction, shareholder value, operational excellence and business integrity.
Our present and future success depends on the creative and dedicated people of our company who demonstrate the principles outlined in the APS Promise: Design for Tomorrow, Empower Each Other and Succeed Together.
The Engineer III/Senior – Distribution Operations Engineering provides technical engineering for protection and reliability to our distribution systems. Performs analysis on distribution circuits including load flow, protection & short circuit analysis, and voltage studies to support new customer additions, as well as to facilitate integration of distributed energy resources (DERs) and distribution automation (DA) technologies. Provides technical guidance and leadership to others as needed. Maintains knowledge of distribution line equipment, and may support research of new technologies & make recommendations to management. Typical responsibilities include:
Provide engineering support to Distribution Operations to ensure safe & reliable operation of the distribution system, including post event analysis & recommended actions.
Perform modeling, simulation and analysis on distribution circuits using the CYME distribution modeling tool, and ensure valid distribution feeder models are maintained in both CYME and ADMS systems.
Perform studies to ensure system protection and coordination, voltage, and flicker requirements are being met for new loads and system modifications.
Develop settings for switches, reclosers, capacitors, voltage regulators, and other devices needed to support reliable operation and automation of the distribution system.
Maintain a thorough knowledge of industry trends and technology through involvement and/or interaction with research institutes (EPRI, etc.), industry peer groups, and regulatory bodies (ACC).
A four year Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline or related applied science discipline (see approved list) from an ABET accredited institution plus two (2) years working experience in Engineering-related positions.
Approved Engineer degrees: Materials Science/Metallurgy, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Nuclear, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics, Computer Science, Environmental, Chemical, Architectural, Structural. (A four-year bachelor of Engineering Technology degree is not considered an automatic equivalent for a B.S. degree in Engineering. A review of the degree program curriculum must be completed by Engineering department management.)
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications: Problem analysis/resolution techniques. Knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices, methods and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline.
1) Analyzes and prepares a variety of data, technical reviews and evaluations, trend analyses, short to long-range technology assessments, products and services, investigations, product/specification verifications to aid decision making. May present findings to a diverse group of management, internal staff, customers, vendors, etc.
2) Identifies, communicates and advocates resolution of technical concerns while adhering to sound engineering principles during evaluation / resolution of the conditions. Challenges conditions and decisions when needed to ensure plant systems, engineering designs, project controls and oversight of work has high technical quality, is cost effective, in compliance with established standards, codes and regulations, maintains future reliability, satisfies customer requirements, budget and schedules to meet or exceed all reasonable or agreed upon customer service levels.
3) Interfaces with customers or cross organizational team members to assess their needs, determine the scope of the project, obtain necessary data to make key decisions which may require consultation with external or internal customers or employees.
4) May provide oversight of engineering technical programs by managing the program requirements, working with cross organizational partners, reviewing and internalizing operating experience and coordinating corrective actions to ensure engineering program elements continue to remain healthy.
5) Provides support for projects and modifications that will increase operating efficiency. May review design and documentation of projects to ensure compliance with design specifications, schedules and any regulatory requirements.
6) May assume responsibility for small- to medium-scale projects which include planning, designing, scheduling and coordinating all facets of the project.
7) Checks and reviews standard analysis, evaluations, and investigations of others.
8) May provide technical guidance and leadership to less experienced engineers.
9) Remains cognizant of current technology and engineering developments as well as industry and competitive developments. Maintains high individual level of engineering technical capabilities and expertise by formal education, self-study, and awareness of technology advances.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.