Arizona Public Service Accountant I | Asset Accounting in PHOENIX, Arizona
Accountant I | Asset Accounting
Apply now »
Date: May 20, 2023
Location: PHOENIX, AZ, US, 85004-3903
The APS Promise is our commitment to our customers, community and each other. It explains why we’re here (our purpose), what we’re here to do (vision and mission) and the principles and behaviors that will empower us to achieve our strategic goals. It represents the opportunity to build on our cultural strengths and develop new behaviors that will enable our future success.
Accountant I | Asset Accounting - Perform a variety of routine accounting and budget-related activities that require the application of professional accounting standards and follow established company policies and procedures.
What your day would be like:
You are responsible for:
Record the cost of fixed assets (both tangible and intangible)
Tracking and monitoring of existing fixed assets
Produce and analyze reports related to capital, fixed assets, and contract compliance
Financial statement and management report preparation
BS degree in accounting, finance OR related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
MBA, MS in Accounting OR CPA certification preferred.
Basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and internal controls.
Solid analytical, research and problem solving skills and ability to communicate effectively.
Working knowledge of computer spreadsheet and word processing software programs (Microsoft Office).
1) Prepare and maintain routine financial, budgetary, regulatory, statistical and other management reports. Ensure reporting is accurate and complete.
2) Analyze and reconcile accounts and reports of limited scope and impact. Update and maintain financial systems and report applications.
3) Prepare journal vouchers, billings and payments. Process inventory, fixed asset, and other transactions. Monitor and balance ongoing account activity and resolve outstanding items.
4) Assist business units in the preparation of annual budgets and forecasts. Perform research and produce ad hoc reporting as needed.
5) Perform monthly analysis and prepare explanations of variances to budgets, forecasts and prior period actual results.
6) Review or propose accounting treatment for routine transactions by applying generally accepted accounting principles, FERC regulations, and company accounting policies.
7) Provide a high level of service to internal and external customers. Respond to routine inquiries or data requests. Coordinate more complex responses or redirect those inquiries or requests that require more specialized knowledge or management involvement.
8) Perform a variety of basic research activities. Identify accounting or reporting issues and recommend corrective action.
9) Complete special projects as requested by department or business unit staff.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position is not required to be performed at a specific APS facility as long as adequate technology and a solid ergonomic set up are present. Pending agreement with leadership, employees hired into this role will be able to choose where they prefer to perform their work. Employees will have two options to choose from:
APS office based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from an APS facility.
Home based: The employee prefers to work most of the time from his/her home.
*Employees in Flex roles are required to reside in Arizona (or NM for Four Corners-based employees). Role types are subject to change based on business need.