Avangrid Principal Engineer- Transmission Planning in Orange, Connecticut
Principal Engineer- Transmission Planning
Company: AVANGRID SERVICE COMPANY
Orange, CT, US US Rochester, NY, US Boston, MA, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $39 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
Sign-on bonus available!
$10,000.00 sign-on bonus available to external applicant hired.
Work location: Orange, CT; Rochester, NY; Texas
Collaborate, perform, and lead reliability and/or economic driven studies including voltage, thermal, PV, transfer limit, short circuit, and stability assessments.
Analyze and assess complex transmission systems at numerous voltage levels. Document and communicate results and recommendations as appropriate including data manipulation, report writing, and summary presentations.
Continually strive to innovate and integrate improvements to increase the precision and efficiency of transmission planning.
Strive to seek out and develop subject matter expert skills as necessary to mentor and support the team to aid in the advancement of business needs.
Collaborate and interact with internal teams and industry peers on regional activities (e.g. NPCC, ISO’s, etc.).
Develop and apply a thorough understanding of various planning criteria, guidelines, standards (e.g. NERC, NPCC, etc.) and analysis software packages such as PSS/E, TARA, and ASPEN.
Participate in transmission and substation site inspections; attend industry workshops, training, and user group meetings as needs arise.
Skills and Requirements
Education & Experience Requirements:
BSEE( Electrical Engineering) required, or BS Energy systems/ Power systems or similar discipline
10+ years of experience (Industry Related)
Technical Skills and Requirements:
The following skills and associated competency levels are desired of those candidates seeking a position in Transmission Planning. However, offsetting industry and other relevant technical skills will be considered for candidates without previous experience in these Transmission Planning activities (e.g. T&S Engineering, P&C, etc.).
• Theoretical Engineering knowledge: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Analytics, Modeling & Calculation (e.g. sym. Components, per unit, etc.), Understanding the Business Model
• Practical Engineering Experience/Application: Planning, Operations and Engineering Design, Construction, (e.g. field experience, standardization, develop business case and defend in front of stakeholders)
• Engineering documentation: Ability to adequately document and interpret engineering documentation, review and approve engineering work done by others
• Knowledge of Regulatory and Compliance Environment: Local, State and Federal Regulatory Standards and Requirements (NERC, NPCC, ISO, PUC, etc.)
Functional Job Specific Competencies
- Power System Studies - Knowledge & Interpretation of Study Assumptions and Results: (e.g. Power Flow, Stability, Short Circuit, etc.)
- Software Proficiency - Power System Analytics: (e.g. PSSE, TARA, ASPEN, Enfuzion)
Behavioral Skills and Requirements:
• Utilize knowledge to influence and guide department engineers.
• Provide technical leadership in the most complex projects that have a wide impact on the business
• Mentor, develop and support team in technical skills
• Subject Matter Expert for department
• Liaison/ direct contractors on company policy, standards and best practices
• Work independently with little supervision
Develop Self & Others
Empower to grow
Collaborate and Share
Be a role model
Focus to achieve results
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or email@example.com