Avangrid Counsel in Orange, Connecticut
Company: AVANGRID SERVICE COMPANY
Orange, CT, US
About AVANGRID: AVANGRID, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) aspires to be the leading sustainable energy company in the United States. Headquartered in Orange, CT with approximately $40 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states, AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving more than 3.3 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates a portfolio of renewable energy generation facilities across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 7,000 people and has been recognized by Forbes and Just Capital as one of the 2021 JUST 100 companies - a list of America's best corporate citizens - and was ranked number one within the utility sector for its commitment to the environment and the communities it serves. The company supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals and was named among the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021 for the third consecutive year by the Ethisphere Institute. For more information, visit www.avangrid.com (https://www.avangrid.com/wps/portal/avangrid/home)
This is a unique opportunity to work in the Legal Department of a publicly-traded diversified energy company. Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with approximately $32 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates 7.1 gigawatts of electricity capacity, primarily through wind power, with a presence in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,500 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.’s Sustainable Development Goals, received a Climate Development Project climate score of “A-,” the top score received in the utilities sector, and has been recognized for two consecutive years by Ethical Boardroom as the North American utility with the “best corporate governance practices.” AVANGRID is headquartered in Orange, CT. We welcome you to visit our website for more information about our company (www.avangrid.com).
The successful candidate will be an integral member of a team providing legal counsel and support to Avangrid Networks utilizing global best practices. This position will provide legal support and represent the Avangrid Networks utility companies (electric and gas) principally on matters involving the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), the New England Independent System Operator (NE-ISO), and electric transmission matters generally, as well as support other areas of Avangrid Networks’ businesses, including NERC matters and energy infrastructure development.
This is a Counsel or Senior Counsel role, depending on experience. The position reports to the Networks FERC Legal Director for Avangrid Networks and is located in Orange, Connecticut. There are no direct reports to this position.
• Provide counsel to the Networks utility companies on compliance matters related to applicable Open Access Transmission Tariffs (OATTs), including interconnection standards and agreements in connection with the electric utilities, interconnection disputes, transmission rates, mandatory reporting, and development activities for transmission infrastructure projects;
• Draft and negotiate a range of contracts, including non-disclosure agreements, data and cybersecurity agreements, and asset transfer agreements;
• Represent the company’s legal interests in ISO Transmission Owner groups, including drafting petitions, response to pleadings, draft comments for rule makings, and coordinate with other Transmission Owners under joint defense or joint representation of counsel situations;
• Provide legal leadership and counsel on FERC, NYISO and ISO-NE, and NERC matters, including drafting or reviewing filings and representing the Company in proceedings before FERC;
• Monitor federal regulation and FERC dockets that impact Avangrid Networks to communicate and coordinate internally to business clients on various topics;
• Contribute to the development of the company strategy for federal regulation and FERC engagement, including updates to and coordination with business clients;
• Advise senior managers within the Company on topics of concern to the utility businesses;
• Work alongside and become a trusted advisor to the business areas within the Company;
• Monitor relevant federal and state regulatory proceedings, including gas pipeline rate cases;
• Procure and liaise with outside counsel, and track legal spending and budgets
• Support the Networks FERC Legal Director and the Avangrid Networks, Inc. General Counsel
Skills and Requirements
Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing to all levels of the organization and to regulators
An understanding of FERC rules, NYISO and the ISO-NE stakeholder process and electric transmission matters generally
Strong negotiating skills on both legal and commercial issues
An ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization's legal department and across all AVANGRID businesses and with regulatory agencies
An ability to work collaboratively and be a participating member of a team
Experience as an attorney with FERC and/or ISO/RTO, or a law firm or in-house position practicing in utility law specifically in FERC matters and transmission generally, including ISO/RTO matters, interconnection standards, and FERC tariffs. NERC experience is a plus, but not required. Position may involve occasional travel to upstate New York, Maine, Massachusetts, and Washington, DC.
Bar Admission/Certifications: Admitted to practice in Connecticut and/or New York, or able to waive in or otherwise gain admission
Required Education: J.D. degree
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
AVANGRID’s employment practices and policies are geared to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. At AVANGRID we provide fair and equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Learn more about equal employment by following this link (https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tool to search for or to apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting our Human Resources department at 203-499-2777 or firstname.lastname@example.org