Omaha Public Power District Senior Network Engineer in Omaha, Nebraska
This position provides advanced technical support and coordination for successful designing, planning and implementation of District’s IP communication networks and telecommunication infrastructure in full compliance with NRC, FERC/NERC, PCI, FCC and other regulatory entities. Incumbent will be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining complex, enterprise scale networks, unified communication networks and monitoring network performance. This position provides technical leadership, expertise and guidance for front-end devices, LAN/WAN switches and routers, network security (firewalls and VPN) 802.11 wireless, Unified Communications, fiber and microwave transport and other components comprising the Enterprise Network Infrastructure.
Position Specific Responsibilities/Accountabilities:
1. Solution Design and Engineering:Collaborate with stakeholders to analyze current state environments, identify solutions to existing issues and/or design new technology solutions
- Assignments would typically require anywhere from 6-9Months of independent discretion.
- Identifies, develops and/or recommends design principles, frameworks, models, standards, and processes based on industry best practices and solution requirements
- Create data network and telecommunication system designs, traffic engineering and equipment baseline configurations based on best-practices both internal and external to OPPD.
- Identify technology solutions and design for LAN/WAN/WLAN, Unified Communications, Data Center Unified Fabric, network security (VPN and firewall) and/or telecommunication technologies such as fiber and microwave based SONET/MPLS transport systems
- Analyze technical needs, requirements, and state of the network’s infrastructure design, integration, and operations which include procurement activities, engineering analysis and quality evaluations and consideration of outsourcing or vended solutions
- Provide thought leadership in the development of technical roadmaps
- Perform quality reviews and approval of Engineer designs and solutions
2. Project Management:Participate as an SME and/or lead assigned projects/work efforts to deliver life cycle management programs, enhancements to existing systems or implementation of entirely new technology solutions.
- Lead project iniativies as assigned by Manager which include the creation of work breakdown structures, schedules, resource estimations, implementation plans and the coordination of personnel during execution. It may also include participation in BURC/RPC meetings to champion BT network and telecommunication initiatives.
- Complete project assignments as a project participant in alignment with defined schedule.
- Prepare financial reports or provide input to existing reports with accurate, timely data.
- Create Bills of Material (BOM), Statements of Work (SOW), Requests for proposals (RFPs) and costing of activities and projects
3. Systems Administration:Monitor, analyze performance and maintain the functionality and effectiveness of assigned systems, applications, programs and infrastructure. The scope includes routers and switches, 802.11 and carrier based wireless equipment, Storage Area Networks (SAN), TDM SONET and IP/MPLS transport equipment, Data Center NEXUS platforms, firewalls and security appliances, VPN and remote access connection brokers, Unified Communication (Call Managers, Session Boarder Controllers, Voice Gateways etc.) enterprise monitoring tools and other components comprising of the enterprise data networks.
- Provide technical support, leadership of personnel and the coordination of resources for the delivery of data
- Identify and implement lifecycle management programs of systems.
- Identify preventative maintenance schedules, create appropriate procedures and oversee activities per defined schedules.
- Ensures configuration standards, templates and normal operational system parameters are implemented
- Create procedures and defined processes to facilitate the execution of daily work tasks
- Create and maintain system-level documentation and reference architecture of systems
4. Operations Support:Fulfil system requests, execute change management activities and respond to system incidents within established service level agreements.
- Ensure Business Partner requests are being completed and incidents are being resolved within established target completion dates and with high quality
- Ensure systems are running efficiently and optimally. Set system appropriate performance thresholds to monitor and alert on aberrant conditions.
- Champion change management activities requiring BT Change Advisory Board (CAB) approvals
- Coordinate and communicate planned maintenance activities with BT teams and District Business Partners
- Provide 24x7 rotational on-call support
- Safety:Promotes and adheres with the District’s Safety Manual. Performs all work in the safest manner and stops work if safety related issues exist to people, equipment and plant/department. Analyze, report, and recommend solutions for all safety concerns to appropriate leadership.
- Compliance:Understands, maintains knowledge, and complies with all OPPD policies, procedures, and applicable Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Communication: Promptly review and apply Corporate, Business Unit, departmental and team specific communications. Design, deliver and reinforce effective communications as required by role.
- Continuous Improvement:Research and* i*dentify improvement opportunities related to work practices, procedures, documentation, tools or equipment. Applies improved work methods in the execution of work.
- Fiscal Accountability:Adheres to all budget and expense policies and procedures. Provide input to Manager on budget design as necessary. Effectively cares for all corporate property, tools and equipment in order to minimize cost.
- *Cross Functional Working Relationships (CFWR): *Identify opportunities to work collaboratively with peers and other work groups, exhibit professional behavior, and promote positive working relationships.
- Work Assignment:Nothing in this job description restricts management’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Mathematics, or related field, and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in an equivalent role; OR 9+ years of experience in the design, configuration and operation of an enterprise network or telecommunications infrastructure
- Advanced knowledge and implementation of complex, enterprise-scale Layer 2 and Layer 3 IP Networks, 802.11 wireless, Unified Communications, Data Center Unified Fabric, network security appliances or telecommunication systems comprising the Business Technology infrastructure platforms
- Demonstrate the ability to perform research and evaluate the ongoing changes in technology and continued evaluation of best practices in support of network services
- Ability to communicate with technical and management staff
- Must qualify to obtain unescorted Fort Calhoun Access Authorization and NERC Access
- Must have or obtain professional certification and/or license, such as CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CISSP or PE.
- Experience, education or certification in service management (ITSM and ITIL)
- In-depth knowledge of and design experience supporting, communication platforms that enable energy utility objectives such as Demand Management, Distribution Automation, Distributed Energy Resources and Advance Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- Project Management overseeing multiple, concurrent projects. PMP Certification
- This role is considered a “non-essential” role, however, this role may be required to report to work to support the restoration of normal business operations.
Office/Field: Work will be performed both in a modern office environment amid normal conditions of dust, odors, fumes, and noises and outside in a variety of weather conditions (snow, rain, heat, cold, wind, etc.), terrain, and other natural environmental hazards as well as pollen and other airborne allergens.
- Must have the ability to: work on multiple tasks at one time; work under stressful situations; operate a computer and other office equipment; sit at a desk for more than one hour at a time; move about the Company and interact with all levels of the Company.
- Frequent requirements of this position: sitting, speaking, hearing, ability to see information in print and/or electronically, keyboarding, and handling objects with hands.
- Occasional requirements of this position: standing, walking, reaching, bending, lifting and carrying at least 10 pounds, and driving.
Org Marketing Statement
EOE: Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
How To Apply
Apply online at www.oppd.com, on or before June 18, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE - Your application has not been submitted unless you have applied for a specific requisition. If you have not chosen a specific opening, your application will remain in 'DRAFT' form and will not be viewed by our Human Capitalstaff.
Job ID: 295326
Location: Omaha, NE - Energy Control Cnt
Full/Part Time: Full-Time