Omaha Public Power District Programs Engineer in Omaha, Nebraska
Provide technical engineering services for specific programs to maintain and/or improve safety, reliability and operating efficiency of the fossil-fueled power plants. This position will perform technical analyses on plant equipment and systems, and operating and maintenance practices, in order to ensure economic and technically sound operations. Works closely with OPPD generation facility staff, other departments within OPPD, outside vendors, and/or contractors to acquire information, resolve problems and implement solutions.
- Provide program engineering services for OPPD electrical generating facilities to assure safe, economical and reliable operation.
- Implement testing, inspection and predictive maintenance programs for power generating equipment and systems.
- Analyze test, inspection and predictive maintenance results and make sound engineering recommendations to improve plant operation and maintenance.
- Produce accurate, thorough, and concise reports, both written and oral, presenting results of engineering analysis performed and recommendations for further action.
- Provide technical direction of outage projects, including coordination of internal craft and external contractor work.
- Conduct acceptance testing following major modifications or construction of new equipment or systems.
- Perform testing and analysis to ensure compliance with regulations and project objectives. Review proposed regulations for impact on the operation of power plants.
- Prepare feasibility studies and cost evaluations to recommend projects and as input to budgeting process.
- Specific assigned engineering programs include: reliability, performance, efficiency, boiler, welding, operating statistics, etc.
- Provide program management services to assure economic, quality and timely program support to generating facilities.
- Provide budget information, economic evaluations, business case documentation, and schedule development for assigned programs.
- Coordinate with Supply Chain Management to initiate and complete purchase of services and/or materials necessary in support of specific programs.
- Provide regular updates on program status to include tracking and reporting of key performance indicators.
- BS Degree in Mechanical/Metallurgical/Materials Engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective analytical, problem solving and decision making abilities
- Strong interest in specific assigned program: reliability, efficiency, boiler, welding, operating statistics, etc
- Ability to work as part of a team, exercise flexibility and take responsibility for assigned work
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple projects simultaneously with frequent changing priorities
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers in a professional and respectful manner
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Successfully completed Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
- Engineering-related experience at a power generating facility or in a related field
- Program management experience
- Knowledge base in specific assigned program: reliability, efficiency, boiler, welding, operating statistics, etc
Generation Plant: Work will be performed inside with exposure to industrial building conditions and will be exposed to extreme temperatures, odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation and exposure to sounds. Noise levels may require shouting in order to be heard. Will work around energies high voltage electrical equipment. Will work in construction areas that present many physical hazards. Will work at heights. Will work in closed or confined spaces. Will work around asbestos and lead.
Occasional Physical Demands:
Lift 50 lbs from floor to waist.
Climbing up and down vertical ladders.
Leading the way we power the future.
To provide affordable, reliable and environmentally sensitive energy services to our customers.
We have a PASSION to serve – We HONOR our community – We CARE about each other.
Org Marketing Statement
EOE: Protected Veterans/Disability
How To Apply
Apply online at www.oppd.com, on or before January 18, 2019.
PLEASE NOTE - Your application has not been submitted unless you have applied for a specific requisition. If you have not chosen a specific opening, your application will remain in 'DRAFT' form and will not be viewed by our Human Resources staff.
Job ID: 295592
Location: Omaha, NE - Energy Plaza
Full/Part Time: Full-Time