ConEdison Scientist, EH&S Sustainable Infrastructure in New York, New York
Scientist, EH&S Sustainable Infrastructure
Nov 2, 2018
Posting Expiration Date:Nov 20, 2018
Organization:Environmental Health & Safety
Department:Engineering & Construction
Section:EHS Sustainable Infrastructure
Location:NY-New York-4 Irving Pl Headquarters
Sr Specialist, Cyber Forensics (Investigator), Corporate Security O&R
Specialist, EH&S Field Services - Lab Services (ChemLab)
Sr Planning Analyst (2H) - Energy Management Electric Forecasting
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
The Scientist in the EH&S Sustainable Infrastructure section will act as one of leads for the Company's Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) program. Primary responsibilities associated with this position include regulatory compliance, program oversight, and training for the Company's SPCC program. The Scientist will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies to strengthen EHS compliance and working to develop a culture to achieve excellence in safety and environmental compliance and to promote continual improvement.
Provide expertise on environmental issues and, in particular, coordinate, oversee, lead, and monitor all technical and regulatory efforts, concerns, issues, questions, and activities associated with Con Edison's SPCC Program.
Develops, implements, and manages Environmental, Health & Safety programs for Company and Contractor employees. Ensures that safe work practices are clearly understood, followed, and that the environment is fully protected in accordance with Company policy and governing regulations.
Develop and maintain corporate SPCC Program procedures, presentations, training and guidance documents taking into account regulatory requirements and operating concerns. Assist operating departments in developing innovative and cost-effective compliance strategies.
Provide expert guidance operating organizations concerning EH&S issues.
Oversee, coordinate, lead, and monitor the Company's SPCC Program.
Act as the Company liaison with external stakeholders and regulatory agencies on topics related to the SPCC Program.
Evaluate proposed regulations and coordinate preparation of Con Edison comments. Coordinate as necessary with industry groups, such as EEI, USWAG, EEANY, EPRI and the NYS Business Council, to ensure that Con Edison's positions are represented.
Represent Con Edison on external committees. Coordinate with Con Edison EH&S staff and operating departments to provide input to such committees.
Coordinates with internal and external stakeholders to ensure SPCC compliance and lead efforts to implement innovative strategies to strengthen compliance.
Provide expert guidance to engineering, operating organizations, and construction organizations concerning regulatory compliance prior to, during, and post construction.
Respond to operating department requests for assistance and guidance
As an EH&S leader and promotes a culture of honesty, trust, and openness.
Maintains subject matter expertise for the SPCC program, develop training programs, and deliver quality presentations company employees.
When appropriate, correspond with regulatory agencies regarding environmental incidents.
Participate in EHS Emergency Resource Mobilization during emergency events
Perform other related tasks and assignments as required or delegated through their chain of command.
Commitment to the Way We Work Principles, and adheres to the Company's Standards of Business Conduct and other Company procedures including Environmental, Health and Safety (''EH&S''), Equal Employment Opportunity (''EEO''), discipline, and security
Participate in audits and field compliance inspections and help champion improvement opportunities
Must be able to manage and track multiple projects at once
Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor's Degree Engineering, Environmental Science, or related field And 5 years EH&S experience with a demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Natural Resource regulations.
- Master's Degree Related field And three (3) years of relevant experience EH&S experience with a demonstrated knowledge and understanding of SPCC regulations.
Required Work Experience
3-5 years Must have an understanding of EH&S policies and regulations Req
2 years Must have expereince with spill prevention regulations Required
Experience working with and leading cross- functional teams is perferred Preferred
Experience with implementing new programs and developing tracking matrix is perferred Pref
Skills & Ability
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Effective interpersonal skills
Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Must respond to system emergencies
Must work at field locations in all weather conditions
Must perform extended driving through heavy traffic and severe off-road conditions
Must perform heavy manual labor; i.e. pushing, pulling, and lifting up to 50 pounds
Must carry tools and materials, climb ladders and scaffolds, and enter confimed spaces
Must work in an environment that includes heat, noise, confined spaces, and high elevations
Must climb ladders and stairs
Must work in inclement weather and adverse conditions (i.e., excessive heat, cold, noise, confined spaces)
Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
Must be clean shaven and approved to wear a 1/2 face or full face respirator
Must be clean shaven and approved to wear self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA)
Must travel to company locations to work on storm restoration and heat contingencies
Must wear all necessary personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including; fire retardant clothing and safety harness
Other Physical Demands
Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
Must be able to participate in the Company's emergency management processes and storm plans as required.
Technical Difficulty Statement
- For technical issues, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.