ConEdison Associate General Counsel, Law - General Litigation in New York, New York
Associate General Counsel, Law - General Litigation
Sep 7, 2021
Posting Expiration Date:Nov 3, 2021
Section:LEGAL SVCS GenLitInvest&Claims
Location:NY-New York-4 Irving Pl Headquarters
Specialist, EH&S Field Services - Lab Services (ChemLab) (https://careers.coned.com/jobs/7796826-specialist)
Sr System Analyst or Systems Specialist - IT BSD OMS
Multiple - Assoc Engineer A (1H), Engineer (2L) or Sr Engineer (2H), STO Transmission Planning - Interconnection Svc (https://careers.coned.com/jobs/7789884-multiple-assoc-engineer-a-1h-engineer-2l-or-sr-engineer-2h-sto-transmission-planning-interconnection-svc)
Multiple Senior Analyst (2L) / Senior Rate Analyst (2H), Rate Engineering
Sr Engineer, Gas Engineering - Transmission Pressure Control (https://careers.coned.com/jobs/7786270-sr-engineer)
Multiple - Analyst or Sr Analyst, Steam Services, Compliance IT & Cyber
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
The Associate General Counsel - General Litigation leads a team of in-house trial attorneys, professional staff, and several outside counsel in handling over 2000 personal injury and property damage defense litigations, mostly in New York City and Westchester County courts. Matters frequently involve street construction, utility equipment (e.g., manholes, poles, etc.), trip and fall incidents, motor vehicle accidents, fires, floods, electrical malfunctions, etc. This function is part of a larger in-house litigation organization.
You will be a leader in Con Edison's flexible and high-performing legal department and be counsel of record on cases under your supervision.
You will lead your high-performing team through change as the Law Department continues to evolve and improve our operating model to provide the best, most efficient services we can for our company and our customers.
You will report directly to the Vice President - Legal Services.
You will be responsible for overseeing all facets of the Company's defense, including: case management; pleadings; discovery; motions and court appearances; insurance tenders; case evaluation and settlement; medical evaluations; allocation of resources; strategic use of third-party service providers; hiring and overseeing outside counsel and litigation budgets; managing litigation risk; counseling clients on lessons learned and risk mitigation; managing and reporting on case progress, results, and key litigation performance metrics.
You may lead or oversee certain internal investigations.
You will be expected to achieve a full understanding of the portfolio of cases handled by General Litigation and develop and oversee strategies for efficiently and effectively handling and resolving litigations with a mix of internal and external resources.
You will oversee and continuously improve the teams written procedures, forms, practices, and protocols for resolving claims, managing litigations, managing outside counsel, identifying and using legal services vendors, handling subpoenas, insurance takeovers, etc.
You will be responsible for continuously developing the skills and capabilities of a diverse, inclusive, and equitable General Litigation team.
You will conduct periodic reviews of cases to ensure they are being handled per expectations, policy, and protocols.
You and your team will report on cases progress, reserves, litigation exposure, outcomes (favorable/unfavorable), average cost for resolving a case, cost of handling a case, and other performance metrics.
Your will, as required, respond to emergency events to protect the Company's interests, providing advice and counsel relating to evidence preservation and potential litigation.
You will provide timely, accurate, clear, and concise legal advice on complex litigation and insurance related issues to operational and business clients, external auditors, and senior leadership.
You will work with Con Edison's risk management department on insurance notice and coverage issues.
You will provide any other legal services related to the Company as may be required.
- Juris Doctorate
Required Work Experience
Minimum of 10 years experience as a practicing attorney, with New York tort litigation experience. Required
Experience managing outside counsel, including establishing litigation plans, budgets, fee arrangements, performance metrics, and dashboards. Required
Experience creating and reporting on litigation performance metrics, including costs. Required
Demonstrated experience improving processes related to litigation. Required
Experience advising business clients on complex matters and emergency events. Required
Must excel at written and oral communication skills, negotiation skills, presentation skills, interpersonal skills, and must maintain a focus on customer service. Required
Comfortable with operating and leading a team in a matrixed environment. Preferred
Experience managing teams of in-house attorneys or law firms handling many litigations highly desired (e.g., head or leader at a captive insurance law firm). Preferred
Leadership or participation in local tort bar activities a plus. Preferred
Experience with case management software, such as Law Manager, desired. Preferred
Experience leading cross-functional teams desired. Pref
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver's License Required
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
Technical Difficulty Statement
- For technical issues, please contact us at [email protected]
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.