Southern Company Occupational Safety Mgr., in Naperville, Illinois
Occupational Safety Mgr.,
The purpose of this position is to ensure Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) compliance, focusing on occupational safety. Responsible for developing, managing and administering company policies and procedures to support Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards, other local/state/federal EHS regulations, and industry best practices to ensure compliance across all AGL Resources employee work groups and territories.
Job Responsibilities & Accountabilities by Competency
• Review prospective safety legislation and regulations and work with company representatives and appropriate industry groups to prepare and submit comments, and work with multi-stakeholder groups to guide development of regulations.
• Identify and document relevant safety compliance regulations and develop and review procedures and protocols relating to all Company operations and Business Units.
• Serve as subject matter expert (SME) to internal AGL Resources’ business units and departments on matters of occupational safety, industrial hygiene and compliance.
• Serve as contact point for OSHA inquiries and complaints; conducts safety investigations and submits reports.
• Inventory, document and validate safety aspects of AGL Resources’ operations (e.g. fire extinguishers, respiratory equipment, vehicles, vehicle cameras, employee count).
• Validate and coordinate any needs for occupational safety related permits (e.g. Lock Out Tag Out permits, Hot Work permits)
• Provide content for training of employees pertaining to safety compliance programs and standards, and conduct training in some cases when a subject matter expert is needed.
• Respond to Safety emergency situations (e.g. OSHA or other regulator field inspections, injuries, employee field hazards) to facilitate an investigation or corrective actions.
• Evaluate existing safety compliance programs for the applicable regions within control and determine and implement any corrections/modifications/improvements as needed.
• Maintain and retain compliance documentation as required by OSHA.
Maintain corporate measurement reporting including kpi’s and other statistics.
• Counsel and inform business leaders on new or modified EHS regulations and the affects of the regulations on company policies and work practices.
• Provide safety-related statistics and best practices data to internal and external groups (e.g., American Gas Association (AGA)).
• Interpret the data to determine trends in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, process safety, and motor vehicle safety metrics and inform business units of those trends.
• Evaluate EHS incidents and recommend corrective and preventive actions for EHS incidents (injuries, motor vehicle collisions, process safety incidents)
• Represent the corporation at applicable association meetings on various EHS issues.
• Formulate and recommend the annual operating and capital budgets and track the budgets according to plan.
• Determine EHS best practices to support the company’s goals by consulting with company representatives (internal peers and other key business units) and external sources such as AGA and peer companies.
• Collaborate with business units to achieve shared results.
• Advocate Company’s position regarding safety compliance legislative and regulatory developments in conjunction with internal government relations personnel and industry lobbying groups.
• Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills at all levels within the Company necessary to guide business units and individuals with respect to EHS issues.
• Develop and conduct presentations for business and safety meetings, safety committee meetings, safety summits, and other presentations on safety related standards and policies.
• Motivate and encourage development of a safety culture by facilitating focus group exercises (e.g. Hazard Analyses, Safety Culture Assessments, Safety Committee Exercises, Job Hazard Assessments).
• Manage development and implementation of EHS programs and projects by developing measurements and qualification processes and maintaining databases that support the programs.
• Manage safety compliance assessment program and drive the business units to correct deficiencies by conducting follow-up meetings with the business leaders.
• Ensuring Company operations achieve and maintain compliance with applicable safety laws and regulations and existing safety policies and procedures.
• Takes personal responsibility to ensure that compliance is achieved with high quality and efficiency.
• Manage EHS compliance, evaluate trends and provide reports to business units and regulatory agencies as required.
• Provide sound business decisions and recommendations in a timely manner with appropriate sense of urgency.
• Develop and maintain EHS related policies and manuals to ensure compliance with regulations.
•BA/BS degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Engineering or other related technical or science degree
Preferred: Certification such as CSP (Certified Safety Professional), CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist), PMP (Project Management Professional) or equivalent
Related Work Experience:
• Minimum of 4 - 6 years experience in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, process safety, and/or motor vehicle safety compliance
• Advanced knowledge of OSHA regulations and programs
• Conducting safety related assessments and inspections
• Safety related regulation interpretation and developing appropriate corporate safety policies
• Working knowledge of Industrial Hygiene discipline
• Practical experience for field application of safety programs
• Use and configuration of compliance software systems and databases
• Safety related training and presentations
• Equivalent academic education and experience
Specific Skills& Knowledge:
• Working knowledge of applicable Federal and State regulations (e.g. OSHA)
• Ability to manage multiple projects with limited supervision
• Ability to understand and analyze legislation and regulation and translate into corporate summaries and policy as needed
• Strong leadership skills
• Must be able to work in the field under a variety of weather conditions
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of safe work practices and procedures
• Strong presentation and team facilitation skills
• MS Office Suite - intermediate proficiency, ability to learn other databases and technology tools quickly
• Project management skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Competency to work independently, to be a self-starter, and take initiative
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Travel requirements: Occasional (5-20% travel) to Regular (20-50% travel) Traveler: The incumbent may be required to travel on a regular basis. Trips will likely require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights.
• On-call duties: While not officially on call, must be able to respond to urgent EHS issues when contacted on mobile communication device as issues arise.
• Physical demands: Prolonged Standing or Walking: This position frequently requires prolonged standing or walking.
• Work environment: The incumbent works in an office environment and may be exposed to varying outdoor weather conditions when working with field operations, conducting facility inspections, facilitating assessments, etc.
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties,
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Safety & Health
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Illinois-Metro Chicago-Naperville
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
G O Naperville - 1844 W Ferry Rd. (1844NapervilleCODE)
1844 W Ferry Rd.
Req ID: GAS2001294