National Grid Lead Engineer, Gas Asset Engineering in Melville, New York
National Grid is hiring a Lead Engineer for our Gas Asset Engineering department in Melville, NY.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there
when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in
an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery
today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
To enable National Grid to build and maintain a safe, reliable and robust gas transmission and distribution system and optimize the return on investment from assets related to gas pressure regulation which includes over 1700 pressure regulating stations, nearly 100 custody transfer stations, 1000 remote data acquisition terminals (RTU’s), and 250 natural gas heaters.
· Lead the identification and formulation of strategic objectives specific to gas pressure regulation and identify and employ technical innovation to drive change, improve reliability, manage risk, meet regulatory obligations and deliver customer satisfaction at optimum cost.
· Design work plans in a non-geographically based group to ensure effective use of resources and effective solutions for internal customers.
· Develop risk based capital plans for National Grid pressure regulating stations, natural gas heaters, and system automation equipment in the medium term (up to five years) including preliminary estimates.
· Develop capital rate plans and deliver them to regulatory agencies including New York Public Service Commission.
· Deliver work scopes for projects to upgrade or replace assets within the portfolio.
· Work closely with Project Development, Project Management, Resource Planning, and Complex Construction to ensure that work plans are delivered on time and on budget.
· Provide technical support for the Instrumentation & Regulation department to solve problems related to equipment design, operation, and maintenance.
· Coordinate field work and investigation to evaluate asset conditions and work closely with Instrumentation & Regulation department in development of the asset management programs.
· Review and improve existing design and maintenance standards and specifications.
· Make recommendations for program improvements.
· Manage budgets for Pressure Regulation Engineering NY Capital plans.
· Participate in process safety reviews as required for new and modified pressure regulating assets with respect to siting, design, and operational risks.
· Attend Bi-weekly Engineering Process Safety meetings.
· Complete action items, training, and other key performance indicators related to team performance.
· Meet with key external stakeholders as required – Pipeline Companies, Regulatory Agencies.
· Work with other functional leaders in National Grid to drive consistency and sharing of best practice in engineering and asset management for Gas Distribution.
Bachelor’s degree from an ABET-accredited institution, focusing in an engineering discipline or science; with an advanced degree or equivalent or Professional Engineer (PE) License preferred
A minimum of six (6) years’ experience in an engineering/technical role
Experience involving technical analysis and implementation of solution-based sound engineering principals and processes
Excellent financial tracking and analysis skills; familiar with Maximo, SAP, PowerPlan
In-depth knowledge and technical experience of gas pressure regulation equipment and stations
Ability to demonstrate a deep understanding of the issues impacting the energy industry sector including Pipeline Safety Management
Detailed knowledge and understanding of regulatory issues affecting gas pressure regulation
Demonstrated ability to anticipate obstacles and think ahead about next steps
Demonstrated ability to develop cost estimates for complex programs
Detailed knowledge of safety policy and potential hazards of the gas distribution network as well as a firm understanding of process safety
Valid driver’s license required with a safe driving history
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across
bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring
and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against
the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.