Eversource Energy Principal Engineer, System Planning, Transmission in Manchester, New Hampshire
Check out this video and find out why our team loves to work here! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmr45H8xZE)The electric power system is undergoing a historic transformation. Driven by state and federal energy policies, coupled with changing economics and capabilities of emerging technologies, the Transmission System Planning department plays a pivotal role in enabling this transformation. The Principal Engineer-Special Studies will conduct detailed technical modeling and analysis, perform as project leader, and carry out assignments requiring mastery of the following subject matter. The Principal Engineer must have extensive experience with modeling and planning the bulk electric power system, exhibit strong technical skills to apply to long-range load forecasting, testing and planning, and leverage company and industry data to anticipate optimal design for infrastructure improvements such as AC transmission lines, battery storage, FACTS devices, Inverter-Based Resources (IBR), etc. Studies will be conducted in adherence to criteria from Eversource, ISO-New England, Northeast Power Coordination Council (NPCC), and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC).
*Essential Functions: *
- Lead, conduct and present scenario and probabilistic based planning studies under a variety of existing and forecast system conditions.
- Use technical experience to contribute sound engineering input to develop robust, reliable, low cost solutions.
- Exchange results but also conduct critical review of data and assumptions from regional and industry stakeholders.
- Interface with ISO-New England, area transmission owners, and Eversource departments, such as: UG and OH engineering, Substation Technical, Distributed Energy Resource (DER), Operations, and other departments to understand and mitigate electric system needs, challenges, and enable reliable future growth.
- Coordinate and oversee studies performed by vendors and consultants, analyze assumptions and review conclusions to integrate into company initiatives.
- Prepare engineering output and summarize in reports, spreadsheets, and presentation to Eversource colleagues, management, industry groups and regional stakeholders.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups to develop long-range planning criteria for integrating and enabling new technologies, including but not limited to photovoltaic solar (PV), electric vehicles (EV), and battery storage.
Other supporting tasks include:
- Actively represent Eversource on regional, national, and international committees and working groups such as NATF, IEEE, state public utility commissions
- Demonstrate self-sufficiency and support Eversource team by demonstrating accountability, consistency, and cooperation with all departments.
- Mentor and provide and technical training to other engineers.
- Perform an emergent storm assignment as needed during times of inclement weather or adverse system conditions.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical theory as applied to planning an electric power supply system.
- Detailed knowledge and experience producing results and conclusions using power system modeling and simulation software for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit, stability, and electromagnetic transients.
- Advanced technical understanding of HVDC and inverter-based resource parameters and modeling, including extensive simulation experience in weak grid systems.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, both verbal and written.
- Essential Software Proficiency includes PSSE, PSCAD, Microsoft Office 365; Word, Excel, Visio, SharePoint, OneDrive. Programming experience highly desirable: Python, VBA. Simulation software highly desirable: Powertech (TSAT, VSAT), ASPEN Oneliner, EMTP (ATP), TARA, PI Processbook.
- Experience required applying NERC TPL, NPCC, and ISO-NE planning procedures.
- Follows Eversource’s Codes of Conduct, Business Ethics, Environmental and Diversity Policies.
- Master’s degree in engineering or science field required.
- Ph.D. degree in engineering preferred.
- Minimum of ten years specialized experience in transmission planning, software simulations, and IBR modeling
- Licenses & Certifications: PE License preferred
Set and Communicate Direction and Priorities
- Know the business plan and how your role connects to it
- Identify problems, issues; take responsibility for resolution
- Set high standards for self; deliver quality performance
- Raise ideas for improvement
- Communicate, communicate, communicate
Build Trusting Relationships
- Follow through on commitments made to manager, colleagues, and customers.
- Address difficult or controversial issues and encourage others to do the same.
- Have honest dialogue with others
Manage and Develop People
- Set performance goals that align with department and company goals
- Meet regularly with your supervisor/manager to discuss your performance
- Seek opportunities to develop skills and gain knowledge through on the job opportunities, i.e. working on projects, attending meetings, etc.
Foster Teamwork and Cross-functional Collaboration
- Work collaboratively within and across the organization to achieve “One Company” and other goals
- Recognize and address cross functional implications of your work
Create a Diverse, Inclusive Workforce
- Incorporate the diverse ideas and perspectives of team, colleagues, and customers in your work
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve business performance and customer service.
- Respond positively to new demands or circumstances
- Exhibit a “can-do” attitude to support changes in priorities and work processes
Focus on the Customer
- Deliver superior service to our customers, both internal and external, in a reliable, attentive, courteous, quality, proactive and timely manner
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Eversource requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by their first day of employment.If you have any concerns regarding compliance with this requirement, you will need to discuss your concerns with Eversource’s HR department after a decision has been made about whether or not to make you a conditional offer of employment. Eversource does not require applicants to discuss vaccination status prior to receipt of a conditional offer of employment and complies with all applicable laws requiring reasonable accommodation.
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs