Eversource Energy Associate Engineer, Substation Design, Special Projects (Hybrid) in Manchester, New Hampshire
This is a hybrid role. The first three months will be fulltime in the office.
The Associate Engineer, Engineer is responsible for the development, expansion, planning, design, maintenance and operation of the system and its equipment to meet the mission and objectives of the organization. The primary role of this position will support the expanded volume of non-traditional project work including Large Generator Interconnects, Distributed Energy Resource (DER) and Grid Modernization (GridMod) projects from initiation to conceptual level across the system. Acts as a project engineer for all substation project assignments and is accountable for leading the engineering design effort, including development of engineering solutions and ensuring quality of deliverables, managing engineering schedule, coordinating the efforts of other assigned engineering disciplines and close coordination with project management, procurement, and construction personnel. Duties include defining the concept, scope, and engineering aspects of substation and switching station projects, supporting the preparation of project cost estimates and schedules, supporting the preparation of capital project budget and authorization documents, and conducting engineering studies involving substation equipment and materials. Candidate will be assigned as Subject Matter Expert for one or more substation equipment categories which will require development and update of standard specifications, review of maintenance practices, participation in equipment failure analysis, and other duties which require in depth knowledge of the equipment. Candidate will also work closely with the Engineering Design and Drafting group to prepare, review and issue engineering drawings in support of both Capital and Expense projects. The selected candidate must possess the ability to organize engineering projects, work to a schedule andfollow-to-completion,communicate with others effectively, use computers effectively, and write clearly and concisely.
- Act as Project Engineer on substation and switching station projects.
- 4kV through 345kV substation design in accordance with associated IEEE/ANSI standards.
- Manage substation projects which may include developing engineering schedules, coordinating engineering disciplines, coordinating material ordering, and supporting construction.
- Support the preparation, presentation and approval of capital project budget and authorization documents.
- Works closely with Distributed Energy Resources group, Interconnection group, Transmission and Distribution System Planning and others as needed in support of non-traditional projects including but not limited to DER, BESS, OSW type projects.
- Responsible for supporting non-traditional projects from initiation to conceptual at minimum and in some cases through Engineering Design IFC and construction.
- Responsible for developing engineering scope of services to solicit proposals from Engineering vendors and also review of design deliverables produced by Engineering vendor to ensure they are done in accordance with Eversource standards and scope of work.
- Ensures that the design and specification of additions, modifications and replacements to the transmission and distribution systems are completed accurately and on time.
- Responsible for the development and approval of project scopes, engineering designs, details, material ordering, and cost estimates, as necessary.
- Support the hiring of contract engineering firms and monitoring progress and performance. (Development of engineering scope of work, review of submittals, and approval of invoices.)
- Collaborates with other Engineers within Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
- Collaborates with other departments such as System Planning, Distributed Energy Resources, Asset Management, Project Management, Project Scheduling, Siting and Permitting, and Plant Accounting, to support project planning, technical and financial approvals, scheduling, regulatory submittals and interrogatories, and project closeout.
- Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
- Responsible for the development of standards and procedures for design, operation, and maintenance.
- Responsible for the development and update of equipment specifications, participation in equipment RFP process, and review/approval of manufacturers’ drawings and documentation.
- Conduct engineering studies involving substation equipment and materials as necessary.
- Possess the ability to organize engineering projects, effectively prioritize assignments, work to a schedule andfollow-to-completion.
- Gain thorough understanding of Thermal Ratings process and provide backup support to the Primary Thermal Ratings coordinator.
- Become familiar with all Thermal Ratings processes, procedures and requirements enforced by internal and external entities.
- Interface with Engineering teams across all regions (Substation, P&C, Line, PM) to gather required information to produce NX-9 forms
- Ensure timely, thorough and accurate submission, processing and approval of all thermal ratings forms for ultimate submission to ISO-NE
- Possess the ability to communicate effectively with others, use computers effectively, and write clearly and concisely.
- Expected to assist with storm duty and any other major events.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology is required.
- Zero to three (3) years of related experience.
- Substation Engineering, Power Systems, or related electric utility experience is desired.
Licenses and Certifications:
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Eversource offers a competitive total rewards program. The annual salary range for this position is $76,980.00 to $85,530.00, plus incentive. Salary is commensurate with your experience. Check out the career site for an overview of benefits.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between MA/CT/NH as necessary.
Please include a resume with your application.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
Responding to emergency situations to meet customers’ needs is part of every employee’s role. If employed, you will be given an Emergency Restoration assignment. This means you may be called to assist during an emergency outside of your normal responsibilities, work hours and location.
- Eversource Energy Jobs