Lakeland Electric Utility Worker - LE Engineering, Part-time to Full-time in Lakeland, Florida
This is an entry-level position for high school graduates who have successfully completed the required industry certification at the Lakeland Electric Power Academy. This position involves learning routine engineering tasks and assisting in engineering, statistical work, mathematical, contract and construction support, or various other utility-related tasks. Additionally, this position receives training and performs a variety of technical office and fieldwork in support of City engineering-related activities. Work is performed under the direction of a supervisor or senior engineering technicians and checked upon completion to ensure quality, accuracy, and completeness.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
- Performs basic level skills as required in the designated position
- Collect and organize data for use and analysis by higher-level technicians or engineers
- Assist in preparing routine reports, forecasts, studies, legal descriptions, memos, letters, and related activities
- Learn basic procedures of using computer-aided Design Software of the Department's choosing to produce maps, drawings, charts, graphs, and related documents
- Enter data into processing devices using procedures designated by engineers, planners, and others
- Run programs or execute procedures to obtain the necessary output in proper format
- Learn to use various software applications to create presentations, collect data, plot technical data, and calculate statistical averages, statistical trends, rates of change, and percentages
- Assist with preparation of cost estimates
- Learn to use the City's GIS Software and provides maps as required by the Department
- Learn to read, understand and interpret plans, legal property descriptions, specifications, technical reports, and engineering drawings
Assist with maintaining an efficient filing and records system ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Depending on the position, may be required to sweep floors, use hand tools, mow lawns, organize inventory, file, answer phones, perform housekeeping duties, and other entry-level functions.
- Must demonstrate behaviors of commitment, trustworthiness, and excellent customer relations
Performs related work as required. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
None QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Graduate from Lakeland Electric Power Academy with required industry certification
- Recommendation of the Lakeland Electric Power Academy instructor and a current City of Lakeland/Lakeland Electric employee
- In order to obtain a full-time Utility Worker position, you must serve six (6) months as a part-time Utility Worker or have six (6) months experience as an intern or apprentice in the electrical field.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other competencies necessary for success in the target position may be considered SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must maintain City driving privileges/valid Florida driver's license
- May be required to obtain a CDL license within a designated time period for certain positions
- Must maintain a valid contact phone number
- May be required to attend meetings at locations other than primary work location
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge of the utility industry, including safety practices, terminology, equipment and customer service expectations.
- Ability to build successful working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow complex instructions
- Ability to learn utility-specific skills based on position assignment
- Ability to perform physically demanding work (in some positions)
Ability to properly use hand tools or office equipment appropriate for the position. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Dependent on position assignment. See job description of position closest to that of the functions being performed.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Utility Worker - LE Engineering, Part-time to Full-time
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $13.00 Hourly $1,040.00 Biweekly $2,253.33 Monthly $27,040.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: ED-Engr-New Dev. & Svcs Engr. 2017540000