Lakeland Electric Telecommunications Technician in Lakeland, Florida
This is highly specialized and very technical work involving the installation of inside and outside plant fiber optic cable, all communication network facilities to support utility and substation communications, and all network facilities to support internal telephony services. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures. The incumbent is expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in the performance of tasks. Work will be reviewed by results obtained. An employee in this position maintains a safe technical and functional continuity between sensitive equipment interfacing with other departments and utilities. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
- Installs, tests, calibrates and repairs all types of electronic and communications equipment from digital computers to analog devices using standard and specialized test equipment and tools.
- Installs servers for use of Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) network.
- Works with local telephonic carriers and the City of Lakeland.
- Prioritizes and completes assigned work orders.
- Splices or terminates metallic and fiber optic cables in color-code order.
- Ensures that tests are run and recorded for each cable for signal quality and connectivity.
- Uses factory manuals and schematics to repair equipment. Contacts factory engineers for aid in trouble shooting complex problems and seeking solutions to continuing problems in equipment.
- Constructs special devices such as printed circuit boards and test equipment to assist department engineers in implementing unique monitoring or control systems.
- Ensures that repair and calibration records are kept current.
- Ensures the requisition and inventory of spare parts for all equipment.
- Supports other divisions with technical assistance and fieldwork as needed.
- Utilizes Microsoft Outlook to send e-mails and schedule appointments.
- Utilizes Microsoft Word to create technical notes related to work performed.
- Utilizes Microsoft Excel to track inventory and data.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime and a call out availability schedule as necessary to maintain required operations.
- Must be able to differentiate between the following colors generated by red/blue/green primary colors at full or half intensity: white, green, yellow, orange, magenta, red, cyan, and blue. This qualification will be confirmed by a standard medical test for color blindness.
- This position is designated Mission Critical.
- Participates in training at out-of-town locations that may require overnight stays.
- May work in teams to accomplish inter-divisional tasks.
- May be responsible for keeping vehicles and work areas clean and organized.
Performs related work as required. QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
A high school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent with supplemental course work in the area of the specialty.
Three (3) years of directly related experience. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess and maintain a valid State of Florida driver's license.
Must possess and maintain a valid telephone number. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Knowledge of the theory, techniques, methods, materials and tools used in the specialty.
- Knowledge of SIP protocols as used for VOIP.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of the instrumentation used in the specialty.
- Skill in the use and care of electrical and electronic test equipment used in the various areas of the specialty and other such equipment used in the trade.
- Skill in using hand tools and precision soldering/unsoldering devices to make repairs to complex printed circuit boards and other electronic devices (Machine operators/inspection level).
- Ability to work off of a six (6) footstep ladder or twenty (20) foot extension ladders to check installation and maintenance of equipment mounted above arms reach such as fiber splices and communication cables.
- Ability to load and unload medium weight test equipment into and from a standard passenger van and set the equipment up to perform tests and calibration of electronic or relay equipment at remote locations.
- Knowledge of installation and maintenance of electronic telephone key systems, working with PBXs and central office telephone switching equipment, cabling of data networks, and installation and maintenance of cable TV systems including both coaxial and fiber optic.
- Must be knowledgeable and have experience with different methods of splicing and terminating fiber optic cable (fusion, hot melt, crimp, etc.).
- Must possess ability to interpret test results with OTDRs, light meters, visible light sources and signal flow indicators.
- Must possess a good working knowledge of T-1, SONET, and OC-3 through OC-48 transmission is critical. Knowledge of testing these facilities is an essential part of the job.
- Must have knowledge of how a telephone central office operates along with the associated outside plant operation.
- Ability to utilize the basic Microsoft Office Suite software.
* WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: *
- Requires manual labor work that involves walking or standing most of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis, keyboard operations, manipulating tools and wires.
- The job risks exposure to heights, toxic/caustic chemicals, traffic, moving machinery, extreme cold/heat, electrical shock, adverse weather conditions, bright/dim light, fumes, noxious odors, dusts, pollen, wet/humid conditions and extreme noise levels.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, good manual dexterity, field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your email and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
The City of Lakeland is a drug free workplace. This position is considered a mandatory testing position, which is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. All City of Lakeland positions are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing. As a condition of employment, you will be required to pass the pre-employment drug test in accordance with Florida Statute 440.102.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Telecommunications Technician
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $26.74 - $41.48 Hourly $2,139.01 - $3,318.30 Biweekly $4,634.52 - $7,189.66 Monthly $55,614.18 - $86,275.86 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: IT telecommunications & Support 1707300000