Lakeland Electric Station Electrician in Lakeland, Florida
This is a highly skilled technical position in the electrical maintenance of a multi-fueled (Oil, Gas, Coal, and Refuse) power generating facility. Work involves responsibility for performance of skilled electrical tasks in the maintenance of electrical systems and a large variety of electrical equipment and fixtures, including construction and installation of new systems and alterations to existing electrical facilities. Assignments are usually given orally, but may be in writing and may be accompanied by sketches or blueprints. Work is performed independently, with considerable latitude for determining materials and work methods used, and is subject to inspection by a superior during progress and upon completion. Example of Duties:
- Troubleshoots and repairs electronic alarm circuits on large annunciator systems, complex control circuits for motor starters, breaker control circuits, and logic circuits.
- Installs, troubleshoots, and repairs solid state communications equipment.
- Performs maintenance and repairs of small single phase and direct current motors; including insulation repairs and bearing replacement.
- Installs, repairs conduit, wiring and large horsepower motors by rigging motors to and from their normal location using chinfalls, hoists, and other lifting equipment.
- Reads blueprints and electrical schematics. Uses this knowledge in the troubleshooting and installation of electrical equipment.
- Performs installation, repairs and maintenance of a wide variety of high voltage switchboards, circuit breakers, transformers, and distribution equipment.
- Performs maintenance and repairs on auxiliary and emergency generating devices including Gas Turbine and Diesel Generators.
- Installs and performs maintenance on a wide variety of fire protection equipment including deluge systems, sprinkler systems, and smoke detection systems.
- Performs system lineups on fire systems to isolate various portions of the system for maintenance and repairs, and to isolate any pipe ruptures or other systems malfunctions.
- Instructs personnel in the proper methods of maintenance, repairs, troubleshooting, plant procedures, and safety precautions associated with the performance of their jobs.
- Must be able to make on the spot decisions during critical periods where he/she is the only electrical authority available (Call-outs).
- Installs, tests, and performs preventive maintenance on large lead-acid storage batteries, battery-charging equipment and monitoring equipment.
- Maintains UPS/Invertor systems for critical systems.
- Performs Preventive Maintenance on complex systems and equipment which require state of the art techniques & testing procedures, utilizing specialized test equipment.
Performs Uniform Maintenance Procedures on various types of systems. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Two (2) years' experience as a Station Electrician Apprentice.
Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Ongoing participation in trade/technical and code school.
- May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Considerable knowledge in the tools and materials used in the performance of electrical maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge in the use of troubleshooting and test equipment; including volt meters, ammeters, ohm meters, meggers, phase rotation meters, etc.
- Considerable knowledge of the functions, construction, and operations of a large variety of electrical equipment used in power generation, distribution, and transmission; including three-phase motors, single-phase motors, direct current motors, transformers, and switchboards.
- Considerable knowledge of the Program Logic Control (PLC) to Motor Control Center (MCC) interfaces; not only inputs & outputs, but a proper analysis of the logic must be known to troubleshoot 90% of the systems.
- Knowledge of Generator systems including the field recertification, turbine (EHC control) systems, DC supply systems, large motors AC & DC, transformer distribution system, motor control center distribution system.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of the electrical trade and of necessary safety precautions.
- Knowledge of first aid, including CPR.
- Considerable skill in reading and understanding electrical blueprints, schematics and investigative skills if none exist.
- Basic computer skills and keyboard knowledge.
Ability to troubleshoot electronic circuits on telecommunications equipment and alarm circuits and control or processing boards (TR sets). *WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS: *
Requires active work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to electrical shock, wet/humid conditions, heights, adverse weather conditions, confined spaces, pollen, dusts, fumes, noxious odors, vibration, extreme noise levels, moving machinery, and bright/dim light.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Station Electrician
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $29.58 - $38.44 Hourly $2,366.53 - $3,075.50 Biweekly $5,127.48 - $6,663.58 Monthly $61,529.80 - $79,962.99 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular UWUA
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: EP-Prod-Maint-Electrical 2011262000