Lakeland Electric Power Production Supervisor - I&C / Electrical in Lakeland, Florida
This is highly technical and management level supervisory work directing the operations, environmental, maintenance, and scheduling activities of multi-fueled, high pressure steam power plants. An employee in this classification supervises one of the following: the operation of heavy duty power generating equipment (power operations), the installation, modification, and maintenance of the power plant electrical, fire team, and instrumentation sections as well as the labor and janitorial forces (electrical/instrumentation), and all operational needs for FGD (Flue Gas Desulphurization) system, RDF (Refuse-Derived Fuel) system, fuel processing, ash disposal and landfill, and water treatment facilities (water operations/material handling). Example of Duties:
- Supervises operations for the safe, technical, and efficient operation of a variety of complex power generation equipment and/or environmental equipment, all plant instrument, electrical, fire team, labor and janitorial work all plant mechanical, welding, tool room, and painting work.
- Directs and supervises the starting, stopping, and operation of turbo-generators, boilers, water pumps, hydrogen systems, water treatment facilities, electronic control system, switch gear, and related equipment, water processing and fuel handling areas on site.
- Maintains accurate logs, time sheets, and shift schedules, and ensures environmental compliance at all times.
- Plans, assigns, and reviews plant maintenance and repair work performed by skilled and semi-skilled workers engaged in keeping equipment in safe operating condition with good physical appearance.
- Instructs employees regarding safety hazards and inspects work for appropriate safety practices and precautions.
- Assists in determining adequate maintenance training programs, coordinates with maintenance groups to ensure systems reliability, and ensures the development and implementation of a full preventive maintenance program.
- Maintains records and prepares reports on maintenance performance.
- Consults with plant engineers, field service representatives, and various governmental agencies to ensure the proper operation of environmental systems.
Formulates operating and special project budgets, specifications, and/or contracts, and cost accounting methods to ensure the most economical operation of the systems along with generating reports related to cost efficiency methods. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
A high school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Four (4) years of experience at the foreman level in related duties.
- Knowledge of and experience with personal computers is desirable.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position.
Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Completion of required skills check sheet and training courses may be required depending on location of employment.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May be required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance process associated with a multi-fueled, high pressure steam plant and associated environmental systems.
- Skill in the management of people, money, and materials.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and the general public.
- Ability and willingness to support and assist subordinates in planning, laying out, scheduling, and coordinating work.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and communicate goals to subordinates and other supervisors.
- Ability to inspect completed work of subordinates for conformance with goals and good practices.
Ability to learn computer software applications. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires heavy manual work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and occasional keyboarding.
- The job risks exposure to adverse weather conditions, electrical shock, moving machinery, toxic, noxious fumes, vibration, wet, humid conditions, dusts, pollen, extreme noise levels, and bright/dim light.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Power Production Supervisor - I&C; / Electrical
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 10/26/18 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $71,306.08 - $110,619.15 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: EP-Prod-Maintenance 2011260000