Lakeland Electric Plans Examiner I in Lakeland, Florida
This is specialized technical work in reviewing a variety of building construction plans. An employee in this classification is responsible for conducting technical reviews of residential, commercial, and industrial building construction plans and specifications submitted for approval to the Building Inspection Division by contractors, engineers, architects, and owners. Assignments are of considerable difficulty requiring that the employee possess considerable knowledge of construction methods, material, and principles, and be able to apply that knowledge in examining building construction plans and specifications for required conformance. Responsibility extends to determining conformance with current building codes, local flood control regulations, and the City's zoning ordinance. The employee is also responsible for maintaining complete, accurate and up-to-date records of contacts with engineers, architects and contractors, and changes made in plans. Under general supervision of the Building Official, the employee performs assignments requiring the exercise of considerable initiative and independent judgment in interpreting building codes, zoning, and flood control regulations and ordinances. Work performance is reviewed through periodic written and oral reports, and through evaluation of results obtained.
Example of Duties:
- Examines residential, commercial, and industrial building construction plans and specifications to determine conformance with current building codes, zoning regulations, and flood control regulations.
- Makes final approval of plans as required for issuance of building permits.
- Aids in solving technical problems which might arise.
- Interprets pertinent codes, ordinances and other regulations when questions arise.
- Recommends acceptance of alternate materials and methods of construction.
- Confers with and explains building codes, both interpretation and intent, to architects, engineers, contractors, inspectors, and others.
- Reviews preliminary plans with architects, engineers, contractors, and owners to provide information on code requirements in order to minimize problems when plans are submitted for approval.
Considerable tact and courtesy are necessary in meetings with architects, engineers, contractors and others to explain what materials are needed for plans review and to assist in altering or modifying plans to meet code requirements. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists in maintaining a technical library on building material, construction standards, and practices and design standards.
- Assists in maintaining a current library of model construction codes and regulations.
- Performs related work as required.
May be required to complete inspections in the field as an inspector. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Meet the requirements of Florida State 489.609 section (c) as stated below:
- Meets eligibility requirements according to one of the following criteria:
- Demonstrates 5 years' combined experience in the field of construction or a related field, building code inspection, or plans review corresponding to the certification category sought.
- Demonstrates a combination of postsecondary education in the field of construction or a related field and experience which totals 4 years, with at least 1 year of such total being experience in construction, building code inspection, or plans review.
- Demonstrates a combination of technical education in the field of construction or a related field and experience which totals 4 years, with at least 1 year of such total being experience in construction, building code inspection, or plans review.
- Must possess at time of employment a "Standard" Building Inspectors Certificate in Building and a "Standard" Plans Examiners Certificate in Building Plans issued by the Florida Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, or qualify to obtain a "Provisional" Building Inspectors Certificate in Building and a "Provisional" Plans Examiners Certificate in Building Plans from the above Board and obtain the "Standard" Class Certificates within twelve (12) months of the date of employment. Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Must possess a Standard Class Certificate as a Plans Examiner and Building Inspector from the Florida Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Considerable knowledge of building codes.
- Considerable knowledge of methods, practices and materials used in building construction.
- Considerable knowledge of inspection processes and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and local legislation affecting building standards.
- Ability to interpret building construction codes, zoning ordinances and flood control regulations, and to enforce them tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, blueprints and schematics.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, officials and the general public.
Ability to follow oral and written instructions and to prepare and submit clear, concise and accurate reports. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, or routine keyboard operations. Occasionally it is necessary to climb ladders/scaffolding, etc. and crawl under buildings.
- The job risks occasional exposures to dusts and pollen, extreme heat and/or cold, wet or humid conditions, traffic, electrical shock, and heights.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Plans Examiner I
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $27.12 - $42.07 Hourly $2,169.38 - $3,365.42 Biweekly $4,700.32 - $7,291.74 Monthly $56,403.85 - $87,500.88 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Civil Service, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Building Inspection 1203000000