Lakeland Electric Manager of Wastewater Treatment in Lakeland, Florida
This is a highly responsible managerial and administrative work directing the technical and supervisory staff of the municipal wastewater treatment facilities to assure work proceeds in a safe and efficient manner. Work involves compliance responsibility and monthly monitoring in accordance with prescribed procedures and standards of regulatory agencies. An employee in this capacity is responsible for assisting in planning, preparation of records, files, and coordination of wastewater treatment management systems. Work is performed with latitude for independent judgment and action within policy limits. Performance is reviewed by an administrative supervisor through evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, and by consultation. Work is subject to periodic inspections by regulatory agencies. Example of Duties:
- Develops, implements, and administers the annual budget for the Wastewater Treatment Division.
- Plans, assigns and supervises chief operators and maintenance supervisors in the operation and maintenance of all treatment facilities and effluent reuse & disposal system facilities and equipment.
- Assists in preparation of contract documents and bid specifications for contract installed wastewater treatment systems, services and equipment purchase.
- Instructs personnel in the safety and health risks associated with confined spaces and hazardous gases, safety equipment and safe working procedures related to wastewater operations.
- Maintains the wastewater treatment software database.
- Responds to complaints concerning the performance of the wastewater treatment facilities.
- Conducts specialized research tests aimed at improved treatment facility performance, and recommends new methods and equipment to determine adaptability to treatment facility operations.
Responsible for the system's overall compliance with Federal and State environmental regulations. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a degree in chemical or environmental engineering, chemistry, environmental science, business administration or public administration.
- Five (5) years of experience in wastewater collection and transmission, or wastewater treatment.
- Possession of a state of Florida Class "A" Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certificate is highly desired.
- Two (2) years of managerial experience.
- Required to pass and maintain qualification for:
- Respiratory Protection Physical
- Pulmonary Function
- Qualitative and Quantitative Fit Test(s)
- The City requires a good academic preparation coupled with strong industry specific experience.
- OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position. Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
May be required to work overtime or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of the management of wastewater treatment systems.
- Thorough knowledge of local, state and federal rules and regulations relating to wastewater treatment systems.
- Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions connected with the operation of equipment and facilities.
- Ability to plan, assign, delegate, and direct the work of employees in all areas of wastewater treatment.
- Ability to analyze problems and exercise sound professional judgment.
- Ability to maintain and update computer databases and files pertaining to wastewater treatment facilities performance.
- Ability to perform statistical analysis and make detailed oral and written reports.
Ability to establish and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, other City employees, and the general public. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires active work that involves walking, climbing or standing some of the time, stooping and twisting, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to heights, chemical, biological, electrical and mechanical hazards.Employee will be required to work in bright/dim light, and adverse weather conditions.Frequent exposure to the general hazards of the industrial working environment and construction sites.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
*All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced. *
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Manager of Wastewater Treatment
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $73,066.99 - $113,350.89 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Water Utilities 15