Lakeland Electric Grounds Maintenance Worker III - Airport in Lakeland, Florida
This is highly-skilled lead work that requires extensive knowledge of grounds maintenance and oversight of crews with 6 to 8 employees. Work involves participating in duties requiring physical exertion. Work is performed with independence, with more unusual or difficult work being given greater direction and supervision by a supervisor. Example of Duties:
- Operates equipment such as trucks, tractors, mowing equipment, front-end loaders, and backhoes in construction and airport maintenance activities.
- Mows and edges with hand and power equipment.
- Performs advanced gardening and pruning work, related to turf and airfield maintenance.
- Cleans and makes routine repairs to small and medium sized equipment; perform routine maintenance on grounds equipment.
- Performs various safety inspections, as required.
- Checks and repairs automatic and mechanical sprinkler system clocks, valves, and sprinkler heads.
- Participates in the work of an assigned crew in grounds maintenance and light construction work at Airport both Airside and Landside
- Mixes and applies pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers.
- Works independently completing assigned tasks
- Performs airfield related tasks as assigned.
- Works in areas where there is heavy public and tenant access.
- Ensures compliance with federal regulations pertaining to airport operations, safety, certification and security under FAR Part 139 and TSR 1542.
- May serve as foreman when necessary.
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Two (2) years of experience in general labor and grounds maintenance work. Required Documents: GED, High School Diploma, College Diploma or Unofficial Transcripts
- Must possess and maintain an appropriate valid state of Florida driver's license
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May escort and monitor contractors on airfield
- Must pass a ten-year fingerprint based criminal history records check (CHRC) and security threat assessment (STA).
- Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director.
May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department. Supplemental Information:
Knowledge of the tools and standard practices of labor operations.
- Ability to keep records, work from blueprints, shop drawings, and sketches.
- Ability to understand and apply safe practices in the use of hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to detect problems related to plant, and/or turf grass related problems.
- Ability to perform a variety of manual tasks and make minor repairs to broken equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for prolonged periods, often under adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to apply preventative maintenance and service to motor vehicles and motorized equipment and to make minor adjustments to correct performance malfunctions in the field.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability and willingness to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
- Knowledge of airport rules and regulations necessary to ensure safety and compliance (Airport).
- Requires heavy work that involves lifting, shoveling, walking or standing most of the time, and carrying 35-50 pounds on a regular and recurring basis along with exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a frequent basis.
- The job risks exposure to bright/dim light, wet or humid conditions, disease, pathogens, extreme noise levels, traffic, toxic/caustic chemicals, fumes, noxious odors, moving machinery, heights, dusts, pollen, extreme cold and heat.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Grounds Maintenance Worker III - Airport
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 12/18/18 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $16.90 - $26.21 Hourly $1,351.79 - $2,097.07 Biweekly $2,928.87 - $4,543.64 Monthly $35,146.47 - $54,523.71 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Lakeland Linder Region Airport 06