Lakeland Electric Grounds Maintenance Worker I - Cleveland Heights Golf Course in Lakeland, Florida
This is semi-skilled work involving the maintenance of City-owned properties. Work involves performing heavy manual labor, which requires the use of hand tools to assemble, install, and maintain equipment and city properties. As work experience is gained, employee in this class may be assigned to somewhat more difficult and responsible tasks. Work assignments frequently are detailed, and the work is subject to review while in progress and upon completion.
This is a part time temporary position.
Example of Duties:
- Performs routine grounds and road right-of-way cleaning and maintenance; cuts grass with power mowers, including small tractor mowers, push-type or small tractor mowers; cuts and hoes weeds; trims and prunes shrubbery and small trees; rakes leaves; edges curbs; sprays ditches for weeds; cleans and maintains garden equipment; loads trash and trimmings on truck. sweeps sidewalks; cleans floors.
- Uses hand tools and small, power-operated tools on routine tasks.
- Assembles, installs, and maintains playground and picnic equipment and fences.
- Maintains area of responsibility including but not limited to: Athletic fields and courts, parks, playgrounds, building grounds, water fowl, medians, rights-of-way, city trees, medians, and/or turf areas.
- Involves all phases of landscape installation and maintenance.
- Operates light trucks and other motorized critical in grounds maintenance and events.
- Greases and makes minor repairs on equipment; services and washes automobiles and trucks; digs ditches; repairs broken catch basins; cleans out storm sewer pipes and catch basins.
- Performs simple carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing and mechanical repair and construction work, often under the supervision of a skilled worker.
- Interacts with the public in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Tree crews and Downtown routes members install, maintain, and remove holiday decorations.
- Tree crew members must work at heights of up to 50 feet on a regular basis and 100 feet intermittently.
- May adjust and repair automatic and mechanical sprinkler system clocks, valves and sprinkler heads; replaces pipes.
- May be required to maintain and repair tractor and other equipment as needed.
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
Completion of eight (8) school grades.
- Must possess and maintain an appropriate valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida Class "A" or "B" Commercial driver's license with appropriate endorsements as are required by the employing department or obtain one within six (6) months of employment.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a Florida-Friendly Best Management Practices for Protection of Water Resources by the Green Industries – Certification, as required by the employing department/division within one (1) year of employment.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May be required to possess a state of Florida Restricted Pesticide license.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Knowledge of tools and their uses.
- Knowledge of the precautions necessary to work safely with and around mechanized equipment, hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to detect and report problems related to plants, such as diseases, lack of water, etc.
- Knowledge of the use of motorized equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, City employees and the general public.
- Requires light and heavy manual labor work that involves walking or standing most of the time, exerting up to 100 pounds of force on a recurring basis and carry/hold up to 30 lbs. on a continuous basis.
- This position requires the ability to work around traffic, insects, wildlife, and the public in a safe manner.
- This position requires the ability to bend, stoop, kneel, ride for extended periods.
- The position requires exposure to hot/cold temperatures, adverse weather, toxic fumes, noxious odors and wet, humid conditions.
- This position requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of taste, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Grounds Maintenance Worker I - Cleveland Heights Golf Course
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $14.60 - $22.64 Hourly $1,167.72 - $1,811.52 Biweekly $2,530.07 - $3,924.97 Monthly $30,360.84 - $47,099.63 Annually
Job Type: Part Time Temporary
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: P & R 09