Lakeland Electric Fiber Optics Specialist (Outside Plant Fiber Design & Construction) in Lakeland, Florida
This intermediate level position is responsible for the performance of assignments associated with the planning, design and implementation of construction methods for aerial and underground fiber optic cable installation projects. Work requires the supervision of and cooperation with other departments and technical peers and subordinates. Assignments are received in broad outline and require independently organizing work, formulating technical policies within assigned specialty, and monitoring work to ensure efficient and effective operations. Employee in this position is responsible for keeping within assigned budgets for both their individual projects and their department. The employee has opportunity for independent judgment and action in planning details of work and making technical decisions. Work is evaluated by the Fiber Optics Supervisor for overall effectiveness and attainment of objectives within the assigned function.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provides fiber optic cable route studies and design for implementation within city, county and state right-of-way agencies.
- Produces preliminary engineering and cost estimates for potential new network additions and customer services.
- Provides drafting, permits, material procurement, work order package and technical support to operation and installation personnel for new placement and relocation of existing fiber optic routes.
- Ability to locate, identify, procure and supervise contract services as needed to support projects.
- Participates in all required training, both technical and safety, for the work place.
- Coordinates assigned functions and activities for this section by maintaining proper communications with other departments, divisions, work groups.
- Acts as a representative/liaison with other utilities and industry organizations involved in projects and studies
- Evaluates and certifies carriers, equipment vendors, contractors, and new technologies as they pertain to fiber optics cable construction and installation techniques.
- Provides technical guidance for work assigned and delegates implementation responsibility to peers and subordinates.
- Develops and maintains standards and procedures to be used by the section.
- Directs work planning and scheduling, including manpower forecasting and budgeting requirements as needed on a project level basis.
- Ensures that all work is completed in compliance with industry regulations including safety.
- Sends and receives messages, calendar invites, attachments, etc. via Outlook.
- Tracks projects expenses via Excel.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
Position is designated Mission Critical. ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
Perform special projects and other duties as may be assigned by the Fiber Optics Supervisor.
Performs related work as required. QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Two (2) year technical degree from an accredited college or university with coursework and/or certification in Microstation or AutoCAD.
- Five (5) years experience in Telecommunications and Outside Plant design and construction methods.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with the following software: Microsoft Windows and Office, Microstation or AutoCAD, Visio, Microsoft Project or comparable project management software.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess and maintain a valid state of Florida driver's license.
Must maintain a valid contact telephone number. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Strong knowledge of telecommunications industry and network cost principles pertaining to Outside Plant installation, construction, splicing, and testing methods.
- In depth knowledge of voice and data communications.
- Knowledge of Outlook and Excel (e.g. formatting, calculations and data entry)
- Ability to solve complex problems through analysis.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal abilities, oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and deal effectively with the stress of a rapidly changing environment.
- Have professional understanding of PC to achieve efficient, excellent output using Windows,
- Office, CAD and fiber database software.
- Experience in planning, designing, and implementing outside plant fiber optic networks as it
- pertains to cable installation.
- Extensive knowledge of project expenditures and budgetary cost controls.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, subordinates, consultants, other utilities, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to understand, follow, and/or transmit complex oral and written instructions.
Ability to be a self-starter, self-motivated, detail oriented, team player and be able to carry out assignments independently. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires sedentary and active work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 30 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations, operation of City general purpose vehicles (automobile or pick up truck), some job duties may be performed in an office environment while other duties may require field work at various outdoor job sites.
- The job risks exposure on rare occasions to electrical or mechanical or chemical hazardous conditions, and occasional exposure to extreme noise levels, dusts pollen, bright or dim lights, extreme cold or heat, wet or humid conditions, fumes, noxious odors, and heights.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, depth perception, and texture perception and sense of smell.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
The City of Lakeland is a drug free workplace. This position is considered a mandatory testing position, which is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. All City of Lakeland positions are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing. As a condition of employment you will be required to pass the pre-employment drug test in accordance with Florida Statute 440.102.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Fiber Optics Specialist (Outside Plant Fiber Design & Construction)
Closing Date/Time: Fri. 01/22/21 4:00 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $28.07 - $43.55 Hourly $2,245.96 - $3,484.22 Biweekly $4,866.24 - $7,549.14 Monthly $58,394.91 - $90,589.66 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: IT Telecommunications & Support 1707100000