Lakeland Electric Assistant Manager of Finance Customer Billing in Lakeland, Florida
This is a highly responsible supervisory position assisting the Finance Customer Billing Manager in administering the activities of the Finance Customer Billing Division. Work involves planning, organizing and directing the programs and activities of the division. This is management work of an administrative, technical and supervisory nature that deals with utility and miscellaneous accounts. Responsibilities include; but are not limited to the activities of the Wastewater, Water, Stormwater and Solid Waste Utilities Billing section, plus management of liens/assessments and miscellaneous invoices billings, Water/Wastewater Impact Fee monitoring. Additional responsibilities to include development of policies and procedures intended to minimize losses resulting from write-off of uncollectible invoices for utility and other services provided by the City. Reviews compliance with and the effectiveness of deposit policies. Develops procedures used by various city departments to monitor outstanding invoices that are overdue. Develops goals and policies governing the use of third-party collection agents for accounts that have been deemed uncollectible. Continually monitor process and procedures internally/externally to ensure compliance with fair debt collection regulations and accurate credit reporting. Incumbent has wide latitude for independent judgment in exercising control and decisions within the framework of established policies and ordinances. General direction is provided by the Finance Customer Billing Manager and performance is reviewed through evaluation.
This position will close at the receipt of the first 15 qualified candidates.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
- Implements, revises and/or writes new office procedures and keeps staff aware of any issues pertaining to utility billing or procedure changes.
- Develops custom reports and database queries to aid in monitoring statistics regarding historical data in the customer billing system.
- Assists in the periodic upgrade and testing of the computer systems used to track accounts receivable.
- Provides data for use by the Finance Customer Billing Manager in planning, coordination and controlling fiscal requirements of Solid Waste, Wastewater, Stormwater and Water Utilities operating budgets.
- Trains and supervises the group of support personnel.
- Manages office workload to ensure timely preparation and distribution of all billings.
- Ensures the smooth flow of work and compliance with applicable departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists in ongoing implementation of automation as required to streamline processes.
- Reviews construction plans for determining impact fees.
- Develops strategies and operating procedures to be followed by employees in various city departments.
- Takes financial responsibility in monitoring the Miscellaneous Receivable bad debt to ensure the 3rd party collection agency is collecting with the highest level of accuracy.
- Approves and authorizes write-off of accounts that may be sent for external collections.
- Develops strategies and solutions for collection procedures targeting chronically slow paying customers.
- Suggests improvements and developments for business systems (Utility Billing System).
- Keeps informed of all changing laws to ensure department personnel do not violate those laws.
- Modifies/approves required collection correspondence for lawful and customer-sensitive content.
- Provides input into changes to the collections setups in the Utility Billing system.
- Works with the third-party vendor for collecting debit on Miscellaneous Receivable accounts; includes creating the RFP to select the vendor.
- Manages office workload to ensure utility billings are prepared in a timely manner.
- Oversees all functions within the office including; benefits billing, water adjustments, invoicing and collections for other departments, wastewater, solid waste, recycling, storm water services, code enforcement billing, industrial billing, cemetery and parking billings.
- Reviews and assesses excess utility impact fees through monthly processes.
- Communicates with customers via correspondence, in person or on the phone.
- Implements and assists with the annual rates/charges publications within the utility billing system.
- Performs annual employee performance reviews.
- Assists other departments throughout the City of Lakeland with question and problems.
- Develops computerized solutions to business and operating needs of user departments using spreadsheets, databases, Actuate/Cognos or Toad; writes ad hoc queries in response to various findings and/or requests using SQL.
- Troubleshoots issues within the billing system.
May be required to work alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the department. ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS:
Performs specific functions as required by the Finance Customer Billing Manager.
- Researches escalated customer issues that pertain to final bills.
- Verifies information incoming and outgoing to external collection agencies.
- Responsible for the enforcement/revisions bad debt policies.
- Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director.
Performs related work as required. QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE) AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Management Information Systems or related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in customer service, accounts receivable, collections, billing or data analysis; must include three (3) years of customer service supervisory experience.
Must have experience with a personal computer creating queries and reports using SQL. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
Must maintain a valid telephone number. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Thorough knowledge of the principles of supervision and management.
- Thorough knowledge of relational database concepts, desktop productivity tools and SQL report writing techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of credit and collections practices.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and billing procedures.
- Knowledge of researching methods and analyzing collections principles and functions.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion when dealing with customer accounts.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Skill with Computer (PC) data entry; including, Access, Excel and Word.
- Knowledge and understanding of Fair Debt Collection practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, subordinates, other City employees and the public.
- Ability to assign and review the work of subordinate employees and to provide effective leadership.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures and the use of office machines and equipment.
Ability to carry out administrative and supervisory details independently and conduct correspondence without review. * WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: *
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to ten (10) pounds of force on a recurring basis and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, sight, ability to speak clearly, manual dexterity, hearing, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception. All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your email and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Assistant Manager of Finance Customer Billing
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $28.07 - $43.55 Hourly $2,245.96 - $3,484.22 Biweekly $4,866.24 - $7,549.14 Monthly $58,394.91 - $90,589.66 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: Finance Customer Billing Operations 0704100000