Lakeland Electric Accountant I - Lakeland Electric in Lakeland, Florida
This is professional accounting work involving the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers for City funds; preparing fiscal and statistical reports, and other duties of a general accounting nature, requiring a considerable knowledge with governmental and fund accounting principles. Work requires exercise of considerable independent judgment on technical accounting and related issues; however, account classifications and overall procedures are determined by departmental procedure or by legal requirement. Work requires existing proficiency with, and the ability to learn and efficiently utilize sophisticated computer application software. Work is reviewed by a technical or administrative superior for overall standards of performance and accuracy and is also subject to periodic and annual audits. Example of Duties:
- Sets up and maintains account combinations and attributes cost centers within an automated, centralized general ledger system.
- Prepares and maintains custom financial reports within the general ledger system.
- Uploads and posts financial information to the general ledger from various subsidiary ledgers.
- Prepares adjusting journal entries to the general ledger as needed to maintain the accuracy of the financial information.
- Reconciles the general ledger to subsidiary ledgers to verify accuracy of account balances.
- Monitors general ledger accounts related to special project accounting, including project initiation, progress reporting and project closure.
- Reviews and records routine budget adjustment requests.
- Prepares reports issued to federal and state regulatory agencies as required to request funding and to satisfy financial and reporting requirements of financial assistance programs.
- Compiles or assists in the compilation of regular monthly financial statements, statistical reports annual financial reports, special reports and analyses.
- Assists in the compilation and update of Lakeland Electric's accounting procedures manual.
- Prepares schedules and reports used to remit taxes to other governments.
- Assists external auditors during annual audits, including preparation of financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Aids in the preparation, balancing and monitoring of Lakeland Electric's annual budget.
- Assists in the development of automated systems used to accumulate, track and report financial transactions.
- Maintains computerized fixed asset accounting system, including entry of new purchases, dispositions, and reconciliation to general ledger.
- Performs research projects as requested by superiors in the Finance Department.
Assists personnel in other City departments in solving problems of a technical accounting nature. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs related work as required. Qualifications:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in accounting.
- Two (2) years of experience in accounting and fiscal operations.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for the success in the target position may be considered.
Required Documents: College Diploma or Unofficial Transcript and Resume
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid home telephone number.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operations of the department.
Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director. Supplemental Information:
Considerable knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles including accounting rules of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and governmental accounting principles and procedures, and of their application to a variety of accounting transactions and problems.
- Ability to apply accounting principles to the maintenance of voluminous financial and accounting transactions.
- Knowledge of office procedures practices systems and equipment, as applied to financial operations.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate accounting problems and to discern those requiring policy determinations by superiors.
- Ability to prepare complex financial reports and statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to apply existing skills and to comprehend, develop and apply new skills associated with the use of sophisticated computer applications and desktop hardware systems, including the ability to readily adapt to changes in the use of computer programs and hardware configurations resulting from advances in computer technology.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and personnel from other departments.
Ability to express ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing. WORKING ENVIRONMENT/CONDITIONS:
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to bright/dim lights, dusts and pollen.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, and speaking.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Job Title: Accountant I - Lakeland Electric
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $24.36 - $37.80 Hourly $1,949.07 - $3,023.65 Biweekly $4,222.99 - $6,551.25 Monthly $50,675.90 - $78,614.96 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: City of Lakeland, Employment Services, 500 N. Lake Parker Avenue, Lakeland, Florida
Department: FO-E & W Fiscal Operations 2098500000